FIrst Time In Florida

Until now, all of our locations have been in the state of Georgia. Next month we will open our first Florida location.

Is anyone willing to share their wisdom on legal and compliance differences I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just about everything you would ever want to know (or not) can be found or linked to from myflorida.com
  • I will be glad to help. Could you send me a number where I can call you between 5-5:30pm tonight or another evening this week. Tom Harper, Florida Editor, 904-296-7000.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-07-07 AT 03:35PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Florida will be easier for you than GA. We don't have a real Dept of Labor, we follow the fed on pretty much everything.

One thing that is a little different is if your health plan is fully insured and you're sitused in FL than the dependent age is 25 regardless of student status, as long as a true dependent.

Also, there was a recent law passed that requires employers to provide up to 3 days of unpaid leave for victims of domestic violence - time off can be for doctors, filing restraining orders, court appearances, etc.

I agree myflorida.com is pretty good. You won't find much on employment law though, but that's because there isn't much.