Bad back

How would you handle a situation like this?

Part-time employee has been hired to work in our operational areas (dining room, dishes, housekeeping).

In general, she is a good worker. Pleasant and friendly.

Two weeks ago, she told our housekeeping supervisor that she couldn't make beds because she has a bad back and her doctor has prohibited from lifting due to an accident.

I dont have any reason to doubt her but I just wondered how you would handle a situation like this.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We require pre-employment physicals for all new hires. Our clinic has copy of all job descriptions and doctor makes determination if new hire can meet physical demands of job. For job change, I call doctor and have him compare original physical to new JD.
  • What are you looking for? Are you looking to accomodate her inability to make beds? Are you looking to terminated based on this inability?

I would review the information she provided on her application to determine whether there was any false information provided. If there was not, how did she get hired as a housekeeper if she cannot lift?

If you are looking to keep her on in this position I would require her to present medical certification of any medical restrictions and I would remove her from work until she provided said information. Once you have the medical documentation you then need to determine if ADA qualifies and whether or not she can perform the essential functions of the position.

I have a sister-in-law who went through something similar at her hotel and this ended up being W/C because here in WI the aggravation of a pre-existing condition is W/C. This also ended up costing the hotel ALOT of money due to refusal to re-hire, etc.

Good Luck!!
  • How long has she been with your company?

If a new hire, I would definitely address potential misrepresentation if you have sufficient evidence to prove that physical requirements for her job were presented to her at hire and she said (or passed a physically attesting) that she could do the job. If she can't do the job now and there has been no event, there is misrepresentation.

If there has been an injury, determine whether it was on the job or off the job. If on the job, of course is the direction to take, with a potential job modification. If the injury was off the job, follow your company's policy on fitness for duty and/or job modifications for an interim healing period.

Also, has something about her job duties changed? Sounds like she was hired for kitchen/dining room/food service work. Has she been required to make beds all along?

Basically, get to the bottom of her current complaint. Figure out whether she really can't do the job, determine your company's responsibility, and take the required action. Your company's responsibility will be defined by whether you find misrepresentation, w/c injury, off the job injury, or slackard.

Let us know what you find.

best wishes,