Background Check - SSN Doesn't Match

Okay... I have dealt with I-9 issues etc before and I know names on SSN's have to match for W2's.

BUT... We have a situation where I get a call from and HR Rep that has one new hire with a background check saying SSN doesn't match applicant or anyone else but is valid in NV. What???? Another has been working for a while now and I get a background report showing SSN doesn't match the name and is being used by another name altogether. But SS Card wasn't used for I-9 purposes in either case.

What the best way to proceed and what can I ask of the employees at this point.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you ordinarily (or have you) confirmed the SS# with SSA? If so, what was their response.

If you have inconsistent records that must be confirmed, it is reasonable to ask the worker to help. You may have a case of stolen identity, and your workers may be the victims. In case that is true, you owe them the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to attempt to clear their names/SS#'s.

I would bring the discrepancy to their attention and ask them to produce something to confirm that the numbers belong to them. Also, we confirm SS#s for all new hires with SSA to help avoid mismatching situations.

We have seen two situations (rare instances) in the past where numbers didn't match up:
    name changes were reported to us and not to SSA--thus names/SS#s did not agree;
    an employee had been a victim of stolen identity and didn't know until we had a criminal background verification returned with a different name (& someone else's criminal history) attached to our employee's SS#.

Let us know what you decide and how things turn out.

best wishes,
  • I agree with stilldazed - also, you may want to consider completing background checks prior to the employee beginning employment. I know this isn't an option for every employer, but it definitely has its merits!
  • You should ask the employee to show you the SS card to confirm the numbers are what you show and the name is the same. If they are the same as your records refer the employee to SSA to resolve the issue. Give him a time frame (60 days) to show you the resolution from SSA if he does not produce you can allow him another 30 days to resolve if still no response term him for falsifying application.

If the numbers are different correct your information and check against SSA to confirm.