Benefit application

New employee, despite several reminders, failed to fill out benefit papers for over 30 days. Can we wait until the next "window" or can we still allow employee to join plan?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This depends on how your insurance company has written your benefit summary. I would contact them and talk to them about it. They may work out something with you, or they may say you need to wait. It is different for each company depending on how the benefits are set up.
  • Check your SPD as well and see if it permits you any lattitude in new enrollments.
  • With our plan if a new ee doesn't submit their enrollment by the first of the month after their first 30 days, they would have to wait for the next open enrollment period! However, we track the new hires and make certain (by bugging them every day and telling them they won't have insurance) that they do fill it out! Sure is frustrating to have to babysit professionals!
  • I think the words "failed to fill out" and "despite several reminders" should govern your actions. I would make them wait until open enrollment or if they experience a qualifying event they can change. Right now, I would assume they elected to waive coverage and I would have them complete an enrollment form with that information on it.

You can only babysit employees up to a point. It is up to them to make their choices. I would definitely make them wait until open enrollment.