Hiring Illegal Aliens

Sometime last year I was involved in discussions with several posters about some companies that may have purposely hired illegals and others who unknowingly hired illegals. Someone gave me advice about using the Basic Pilot Program for verifying SS numbers. We had some doubts about the accuracy of the program and did not use it simply because our chance of hiring illegals is minute. It wasn't that we were smart,it was just something we did not need.

If you didn't read the July 2007 issue of Human Resource Executive you should try to find it. The article about Swift & CO. reveals that Swift had several hundred illegals on the payroll even though they had been using the Basic Pilot program. Another article in the same issue "Immigration and Aggravation" pointed out all the flaws in the Basic Pilot Program.

Subsequent to this the SSA issued detailed information about how to handle "no-match" letters but that has now been blocked by court ruling unless it has been overturned and I am not yet aware. Whatever the case I will be glad when it is all resolved so that other companies will not get the Swift Treatment.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Until our Federal government steps up and decides to do something, more than likely, it will just get worse. Oklahoma's Citizen Protection Act is supposed to be one of the toughest in the nation. Arizona just passed legislation requiring employers to use the Basic Pilot program, Illinois has passed legislation prohibiting employers from using the Basic Pilot program until the Feds can meet certain performance goals,Irving, Texas has required their police force to run all arrestees through ICE. How are we as employers operating in more than one locale going to keep up with all the individual requirements? It is my understanding there are only 10 states that have not enacted immigration related legilation as of July 2007. Maybe we should all move to one of those 10.