Union Asking for Employee Inforation - Can They

I've had trouble getting this to post, so I hope I don't post more than one...

Our employees are represented by a bargaining unit. They have asked if we would provide them with all the names and address of our employees. I see these as employer records, and thus we have no obligation to provide this information to them We have no state law on this. Am I required under some statue to provide this to them?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Check your bargaining agreement. There may be a clause in there are requires you to provide them the names and addresses of THEIR members only.
  • Nope, no provision on this. What I was wondering is there any federal statue that may require this.
  • I am not aware of any federal requirement. However, if you want to develop a working relstionship with your Union I would provide them the info they requested on their membership.
  • I know my state's labor laws do require an employer to provide information to the union as is necessary for administration and negotiation of the collective bargaining agreement. It would be difficult to argue that knowing the names of their members is not a legitimate need of the union in order to administer the contract. As I work for a public employer, we are not subject to the NLRB, therefore, I am not as knowlegeable on federal law. However, I believe federal labor law has similar requirements as to providing information to the union.

Many union sign-up cards have the employee sign a release allowing the union to have access to some basic information. You might want to check those union cards to see if they contain a release.