Has this ever happened to you?

2»

Comments

• well apparently they are! Maybe they want to dump me and put her in my place (cheaper). Who knows? One male and one female.
  • I have worked in some Murky (Muddy) water before not in my department but in the company. VP of Finance and a clerk.

Only in Arkansas....VP had to term clerk, and now 7 years later they weathered the storm and are now married. But it was real touch and go until the CEO stepped in and put a foot on it!

Don't get paranoid like some do in HR..Stay focused, be positive, visit with your assistant and maybe she will open up more to you.

A good, seasoned HR Professional is too valuable to be replaced by an on-line educated HR assistant who has little experience and will land their butts in court, maybe several times. Hope that phrase wasn't too southern for you NJ.

Get you a sign and post it...Pat it from time to time...."I LOVE MY JOB, I LOVE MY JOB!" or maybe an EASY button for your desk. A good venting tool, hit it when needed.
  • Actually my assistant is very open with me. if it weren't for her I wouldn't even know they offered this to her. We have a great working relationship. it's just upper management that needs help. HA
  • We can only form our opinions based on what we know about your workplace and what we know about our own.

Recently, my boss said the CEO had suggested contracting a retired HR person from a competitor to help us. What I understood her to be telling me was, this person (who is a million times more qualified than me) would be sticking her nose into our HR processes and telling me what we are doing right and wrong and give recommendations.

I was highly offended, felt this woman would end up being my replacement, and told my boss so.

She said, "uh, you have completely misunderstood me. This woman will help you redo the handbook. You've been asking for help and I just offered it."

Yet another lesson about jumping to conclusions based on your own insecurities. x:-8
  • Excellent point, HRQ!

Njjel, it could be that there are other things your VPs want you to focus on, but you may be unable to do so because your assistant isn't able to take some of the things that are on your plate because she does not have the training. Their intentions could be very good, but their communication could be flawed!

Continue to do your job, continue to work well with your assistant, and maybe look for some communication training for your VPs. HA! If you find something that works well, share with the rest of the group! I'm sure we all may be interested!

On a side note, I have an easy button on my desk! Our CEO bought one for all of management last year! It doesn't always make things easy, but it can provide stress relief by hitting it over and over again!

Good Luck!
  • I think everything will be fine Nijel. Unless its not...
  • thanks for the encouraging words Paul. :-) We shall see what happens