Liability exposure when EEs take first aid/CPR

There is some interest among employees to participate in a Red Cross sponsored, onsite 1st aid/CPR class. This is not to create a 1st responder group. We have had only a handful of emergency situations and the rescue squad is 2 minutes down the road. Employees who partipate and get certified will not be expected to render first aid on the job, but may volunteer.

What liability, if any, does this expose us to if an employee does respond to another employee?

Our safety director is CPR/1st aid certified (and an Eagle scout!) and, in the past, has responded until EMT arrives. We number roughly 55 employees between 3 buildings.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think it would depend on whether your state has a good Samaratin law that exempts people from liability for trying to assist in an emergency.
  • Strictly my opinion, I think it is great that you have employees interested in first aid courses. Having offered this kind of training, the employee is empowered in his personal life as well.

I know that we live in a litigious society but can we sometimes see a good thing as just that, a good thing?
  • We have offered this to our employees on a limited basis and always have more sign up than we have room for. No one seems to have any issues with it. They are not dedicated 'first responders', but they have more confidence when handling a medical/accident situation that requires immediate action.

Anne in Ohio
  • Add'l and opposing points of view coming to light has been to offer the class, pay for the class ($35/ea), pay for the time to take the class (which makes it seem more work-related and a gray area).
    The other position, to distince from the litigation concern and have room for the truly interested, is that the benefit is the opportunity. We provide the facility and snacks, pay most or all the class, but hold the two 3-hour classes after hours.

Personally, I'd be happy to participate in a class at my expense if I could stay at work and not drive somewhere else to take.

Thanks for the remarks so far, would be interested in hearing more.
  • At a previous employer, I was allowed to take this a step further...

We not only paid for the training, but we put up professionally produced placards at the doorway or cubicle opening of certified personnel. This not only made it easier to find someone certified in case of emergency, but served as positive reinforcement and recognition for those who chose to go through the training.