Teleworking and equipment

One of our senior program directors is a full-time teleworked. We are based in CT and she in Maine. She recently requested an air conditioner to be installed in her home.
This is not part of standard telework procedures, or in the policy we've written. My question is do we have to install the air conditioner on our dime?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Why does she want one? Is she just hot or is this some kind of reasonable accomodation? If she is just hot, the answer is no. If it is for health reasons, you will need to look at the issue more closely before you make a decision.

Nae
  • Thank you for responding. Great point. The air conditioning is a want not a need because of health.
    The tree that was in her yard that shaded her office fell a few months ago and now she has more sun coming into her home office.
  • If she wants to work from home then it seems to me that her house is her problem. If she gets cold and turns up the heat will she expect you to pay for the extra heating costs?

Is she working from home at your request? If so, you may feel like doing a bit more for her, but that does not mean you are required to.

I would tell her it is a no-go as nicely as possible and then go home and dream of what I would have liked to have done...sent her a 4 inch tree to plant in place of the other one. What? It will grow!

Good luck!

Nae
  • Maine? It's cold in Maine in January. Will you also install a heater?

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.