What's Stored in a Personnel Record

This isn't as exciting as quitting supervisors and wanted felons appearing on the job, but it's a question nonetheless.

I just took a seminar on personnel record retention and was left wondering about certain items that aren't being used to make employment decisions (this was the yardstick used for what to keep in the EE's file). Do you keep these with the personnel file, and if not, where and for how long do you store them?

- Employment verification forms (like for mortgage applications)
- Jury duty certificates
- Health plan applications/address change requests that have been superseded by the most recent one.

Toss? keep in a separate file for a period of time?

Thanks.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I keep employment verification forms and jury duty certificates in the personnel file. All health plan info, including the application I have in a separate file.
  • This was given to me a couple of years ago. Hope it helps.

What should, and should not, be included in the personnel file?

What should be included in a basic personnel file:
    • employment application and résumé
    • reference checks
    • college transcripts
    • job descriptions
    • records relating to hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, rates of pay and other forms of compensation, and education and training records
    • records relating to other employment practices
    • letters of recognition
    • disciplinary notices or documents
    • performance evaluations
    • test documents used by an employer to make an employment decision
    • exit interviews
    • termination records

What should not be included in a basic personnel file:
    • medical/insurance records
    • EEO/invitation to self-identify disability or veteran status records
    • immigration (I-9) forms
    • safety training records
    • child support/garnishments
    • litigation documents
    • workers' compensation claims
    • requests for employment/payroll verification

• Thanks, Joannie, this is helpful.

have you seen anywhere guidelines on how long to keep copies of employment/payroll verification? I can't think of an employment-related reason to keep them at all except to prove you've done it, which doesn't speak to a very long shelf life.

also, what do you do with Jury Duty Certificates that acknowledge the person have served?
  • I would file Jury Duty Certificates with records of hours worked and keep in accordance with state specific law.

I'm not aware of any required timeline to keep the employment/payroll verifications. Our practice is to retain as long as we retain personnel files. We keep info in a seperate color coded folder.
  • Joannie, Where do you keep the I-9's and garnishments? Can you keep a separate file for those or should all I-9's be filed together in one file for all employees? Thanks for the great list. Wanda
  • Wanda,
    I keep the I-9'sin 1 file and EEO survey's in another. Alpha filed in two groups, actives and terms with term date marked on each so I can destroy when appropriate. Garnishments go in our "Red" folder kept by payroll. When ee terms, we pull all 3 folders and file alpha by year termed. FYI - we keep all 3 folders until end of year following 10 years from term date.
  • I keep employment verification forms in the personnel file, jury duty certificates with attendance records, and health plan forms in a separate medical file.

At the moment, I keep all indefinitely during employment, and for 6 years after termination. If my personel files start getting larger, I may start tossing the employment verification forms and jury duty certs, but health plan forms will always stay.
  • There was an article in the Montana Employment Law Letter dated Aug 10 through M. Lee that you may be able to access "Be careful what you keep in personnel files"

As to your examples:

Employment verification forms (like for mortgage applications) - Yes, maybe couple years

Jury duty certificates - No, Jury duty is recorded on timesheet as we maintain EE in pay status

Health plan applications/address change requests that have been superseded by the most recent one. - Yes, usually keep original app for years. It's only 1 page. Many updated forms I keep the most current two.

Almost all items out of files I shred in my office.

Hope this helps.