No Match Letters

There's been quite a bit of press lately about stepped up enforcement by Homeland Security, and part of that is giving companies 90 days to resolve no match letters from Social Security Administration. We haven't had a problem here, but my previous experience was it took SSA at least a year sometimes two or three to send no match letters after the hire. Is anyone having this experience now? How are you resolving the letters?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sorry I can't help. We have not had a no match letter in over 5 years.
  • Had my first at beginning of the year, 8 months after hire. EE, a student, had already gone back to college. He had transposed numbers. Did not use SS card for I-9 employment eligibility so I never saw it. Was able to get copy through parents, so all was easily resolved.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-16-07 AT 12:50PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Allsteaks: May 2005, I took this company into the world of government programed verification of I-9 information with "The Basic Pilot Program". We no longer worry about mis-matched information pertaining to our new hire employees regardless of their nationality. "Employment Authorized" is contained on every new hire. Any mis-match identified is resolved within 8 days or the employee is terminated. The employee becomes an x-employee when they do not wish to contest our inquiry or if they do not return from their suspended employment while waiting for the employee to return from the appropriate government agency capable of dealing with the mis-match information.

We are living today, very comfortable with the government program for solving mis-match information. While you and thousands of employers worry about mis-match I-9 information, we do not have that issue or worry.

The program is free and takes about two hours to accomplish the on-line registration. It takes about 2 minutes to get back a "confirmed to hire"/"authorized to employee" of a non-confirmed with a referral letter for the concerned employee on which they are asked to contest or non-contest.

This system also helps eliminate mis-matched information. Yesterday, I submitted the I-9 information for verification and I had a mis-match SSN on a US Citizen. After being alerted, I began to recheck the submitted information and I found that the individual had provided SSN to us on his Application and the I-9 information, only to discover that the individual's hand written SSN had provided an apparant 9 in his last 4, but the actual number was 5. I resolved the SSN mis-matched with a change to my original submission and then received an authorization to employee. Both documents are attached to the I-9 and appropriately file in a 3 ring binder.

Richard also known in these circles as PORK
  • Hey, the OTHER forum said that you retired. Did you?
  • Thanks Pork, but I'm not having a problem with it, I was just curious if the stepped up enforcement was a concern to forumites. Apparently it isn't, so we move on to the next hot spot!
    Thanks again.