Help...What do I say?

I am not sure how to handle a situation that has come up today.

We had to let an employee go this morning. Unfortunately, it was done over the telephone. We had planned on terminating him last week, but he had called in sick 3 days. This morning,when I checked the voice messages left on his phone there were 2 from his wife, one last Thursday and one last Friday. She left another one this morning. She also called the main line to our office and left me a vm saying that she is having a hard time reaching her husband. "Does he still work there?"

Do I return her call, and if so, how much information can I give? She is listed as an emergency contact in his personnel file. The tricky part of this is that they no longer live together. They split up about 4 months ago, she is living out of state. Am I obligated to return the call? He no longer has a personal phone, so she has no way of reaching him. He contacts work from a pay phone.

Thanks for any advice you wise forum gurus can give me!

Jamie

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am assuming he called in again this morning and at that time was terminated. Correct?

Did she leave a phone number? If so, I would contact her and inform her that he no longer works for your company. I would not give her any more information. If she asks for additonal info, tell her that's all you can tell her.

• Yes, he did call in this morning, although he was not terminated due to his attendance.
    The wife did a leave a phone number, but I think I may wait a little while before I call her. I have a feeling that he has probably contacted her already, or I would have had another call. I know it is not my place to judge their 'relationship', but I am not sure she is calling out of concern for him. I have been told that when she calls him at work, he usually ends up banging the receiver on the desk and screaming SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!! I really don't want to end up in the middle of whatever is going on. I am sure she will call back if he hasn't called her. At that time I will the give her the minimum amount of information.
    Thanks for your responses!
    J
  • I disagree with ritaanz, but then I'm taking the coward's way out. I wouldn't return the call; however, if she called back, then I would tell her he no longer worked for the company. And like ritaanz, wouldn't give any further info.
  • The wife has called three times. She'll continue to call until you answer.

If she's being nice, just call her. That ends it today instead waiting for tomorrow. x0:)

If she's leaving rude messages, make her wait. She deserves it. x}>

Either way, give the same answer ritaanz suggested. He already knows he's been termed. If he didn't know yet, I wouldn't tell the wife either.

• I love situations like these because it is one of the few times in HR where I feel like I actually have some modicum of power. We are truly the gatekeepers of information, not to mention the keepers of the zoo.

Good luck with the phone call!
  • The keeper of the zoo is certainly appropriate. I think the heat must be getting to everyone lately. Wow. No shortage of craziness lately. The only good thing about these situations is that it makes me very very thankful for my dull, boring, ordinary, routine life!
    What a Monday!