Interviewing scenarios

Hi Everyone,

During a recent interview, one of our hiring managers asked an applicant if her tatoo had any significant meaning. I informed him that question was not job related and therefor shouldn't be asked, and he responded by saying that he's never seen anything on the legal "do's and don't's" list about tatoos.

Obviously, it appears as if general guidelines are cutting it for the hiring managers, so I was thinking of putting together a few interviewing scenarios and coaching them on the appropriate questions/responses. I could come up with my own, but does anyone know where I might find some good case studies on this?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A couple of good scenarios I would include would be:

A. Questioning a female applicant about how she will handle child care issues if she was hired.

B. Asking an applicant "That's an interesting accent. Are you Middle Eastern?"

C. The Halo/Horn effect - overemphasizing one aspect of a candidates background. "Hey, you play golf too? When can you start?"

Good luck.
  • How about this one:

"That's an interesting tattoo. Does it have any significant meaning?"

Applicant: "Yes, actually. It's a special symbol from my Lithuanian culture. When I was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I sought solace in the Orthodox church, and I got this tattoo as a constant reminder of my faith and ancestry. This sun here represents God, and these two clouds here represent my two children, and there's 40 rays of light - one for each year I've been on this earth."

There you have it - potential for claims based on ethnicity, religion, disability, sex, parental status, and age all because of one innocent tattoo question!

• Reminds me of an interview I just recently had. One of our customers is in the dermatology arena. We manufactured a part for their machine. This machine is used by doctors and hospitals to remove scars and tatoos. On my desk was a scrap piece of that part, a piece about 1 1/2" in diameter. An applicant I was interviewing picked it up and asked about it. When I told him about the tatoos, he proceeded to show me his taoos. It was not a pretty sight.
  • I once had a candidate faint during an interview, stating that she frequently faints when she gets stressed out. Obviously fainting is a medical issue, but if the job is highly stressful, surely it wouldn't be discrimination to turn her down, right?
  • I dont know. Is maintaining consciousness a major life activity?
  • Obviously, but how do you make sales or stock trader job "less stressful." How would you accomodate that?
  • I dont think you can. The very nature of the job is intense and stressful. I would think that the ability to handle that stress would be a requirement of the position.

I have seen those kinds of jobs and thought "Wow, that is WAY too stressful." I wonder what would motivate someone who faints under light stress (an interview) to pursue such a high stress job.

• I bet your hiring manager understood your point, but was really really intrigued by the tattoo. His desire to learn about the meaning behind the tattoo trumped his fear of you kicking his a$$.

Sorry, I don't have any case studies for you, but do recommend repeating, in a louder voice with each repetition, "that question was not job related and therefore you will not ask it." Then tattoo missk's example on your forehead so the manager can read it every time he sees you.