Social Security Numbers

Is it illegal to send a social security number electronically? I recently submitted a census to our new insurance carrier for medical at their request and social security numbers were required as part of the census.

An employee in our security department said it was illegal to email a social. I wasn't quite sure where to start my search to confirm. I receive HR Law Letters but if this was an item covered, I missed it.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-26-07 AT 07:46AM (CST)[/font][br][br]It is my understanding that it isn't illegal, but inadvisable unless you're working with encrypted/protected data and other safeguards.

If you were sending this to your insurance carrier, I would assume you have a confidentiality agreement and HIPAA agreement with them that renders it safe to send SSNs. In the past when we have sent census data, we had employees sign an acknowledgement releasing personal health info and personal identifying info to the carrier. Ask your carrier/broker for a copy of such a statement.

Assuming you have the agreement with your carrier, a secure server and other IT safeguards, I don't see a problem in you sending the information.
  • I agree that it is not illegal, it's just not a safe way to transmit sensitive information. We use Winzip to send all private/personal information. You can download a free version and it's pretty easy to use. You can send the zipped file to the carrier in one email and either send a second email with the password, or call them with the password. Just don't include it with the zipped file or you have defeated your purpose!
  • Sorry, but I disagree. This all comes under HIPAA. You can legally fax a social security number, but to email a social security number you must have it encrypted or encoded or otherwise protected in some way. We have to transfer this kind of information frequently (one of our lines of business is an insurance agency). There are usually good ways to work through this problem if you are creative.

Good luck!

Nae