Employee requesting Timeclock Report

Hello,

I've got an employee who has always had an attendance problem. Unfortunately, when he is here, he's a super-hard worker. That has made for a tougher decision in the past.

Last year, we gave him a final warning about consistently not getting 40 hours a week. After he still didn't meet the requirements for a full-time employee, we offered to keep him on as a part-time employee. He agreed.

Lately, there have been more problems with his attendance. Last week he didn't show up for work and didn't call in until lunchtime to tell us why. His supervisor suspended him for 5 days. He was angry and said he would be contacting his attorney.

Today was his first day back since the suspension. He just came into my office and asked for a letter explaining why he was suspended and a report of his hours worked last year and so far this year. He said he needs the hours report for an audit his accountant is doing. I really think an accountant would need paycheck amounts rather than hours worked, so I'm highly skeptical.

Am I obligated to provide copies of these time records to him? I can't think of anything in them that would do anything but defend our decision, but I'm a little leery to just hand off this information.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Paystubs indicate hours worked. Tell him to provide those to his accountant. I agree, from what you've said, I'm skeptical too.

When I suspend an ee, I do a write up listing the infraction, expectations, and action taken. I will give a copy of that to the ee, but would not give them a letter.
  • I would tell him that his pay stubs show the number of hours he worked and was payed.

I would not prepare any report. Did his supervisor give him a disciplinary form regarding his suspension?
  • I think you need to check your state's laws as they pertain to an employee's right to access their own personnel files. Arguably, time and attendance records could fall within the definition of personnel records.

I strongly recommend providing the employee a written notice of discipline. Without putting the reasons in writing, the employee (and eventually jury) may assume that you had a discriminatory reason.