EE always borrowing money

We have an ee here who is constantly borrowing money from other employees. He seems to pay them back but not always in a timely manner. He has even approached the spouse of one staff member which to me is really innappropriate.

Our solicitation policy doesn't include "borrowing money". Generally the amounts are fairly small: $20-40 here and there.

I am planning to tell him to cut it out but wanted the wise counsel of my steamed colleagues first.

Comments

• 29 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think this comes under the heading "making other employees uncomfortable." Not allowed. Our employees need to get along and that means not putting them on the spot unnecessarily. After all, your employees are there to work for your organization, not to be bankers.

Good luck!

Nae
  • I totally agree. I have been able to identify at least four ees who he has repeatedly gone to for money, over and over. He has at times, taken several months to pay them back.

I think I will talk with him tommorrow and shut down the First National Bank of Mooching.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-22-07 AT 04:58PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Have the lenders complained?

Whether or not you talk to the moocher, the lenders need a spinal fluid injection.

The fact that folks are reluctant to give direct feedback is one of the reasons HR gets stuck with so many thankless jobs. If it is causing the lending EEs some pain, maybe they should learn to say NO!

• One lender did come to me and complain. The other lenders were not aware that this EE was borrowing from multiple people.

Its true that people often ask HR to do what they dont want to do but in this case, I really dont mind. Its so clear cut that this behavior is innappropriate.
  • Hey Paul, it's kind of tight this week and I'm not sure I can buy gas to make it to work tomorrow and Friday and I'm out of paid time off so it will be unpaid which means I will have a hard time next week and will probably have to miss some more work and on and on...... can you wire me $50 so I can fill my gas tank in the car? BTW, my Road Runner bill is due, and so is my cell phone bill.... let's see, I'll have to make a payment on that brand new Mustang I just bought....and I just can't kick that 5 pack a day habit.... Oh, did I tell you I just bought a new Dish for my TV? Man, you wouldn't believe all the channels I get now! Let's see, my grocery budget is kind of tight too since I took the wife out to eat almost every night last week.... the wife just didn't feel like cooking. Hey, now that I think about it, how about loaning me a couple hundred??
  • Nip it in the bud. Just tell him that this is causing discomfort or go to his supervisor and let the supervisor handle it.
  • Here is what I am going to do.

Refer to our EAP if he needs financial counseling and tell him the borrowing money ends now and all outstanding debts need to be paid back in a timely manner.

Its telling that he has never approached ME for money.
  • Wow, I think you are being quite presumptuous to get involved in an EEs personal life in this manner.

If your EE demographics are like many other companies, you might have other EEs that have similar problems managing their finances, but you are leaving them alone because none of their lenders has come to you complaining.

Our employees have lots of contact with each other outside the office. We do not try to manage any of that interaction because, unless it falls under some sort of liability exposure umbrella, it is none of our business. I am suggesting that this is none of the company's business.

The EEs who are being approached need to handle this just like they would a neighbor or a family member that has become a pest or putting them in uncomfortable situations.

I would stay out of it. The idea of an EAP referral would be as far as I would go, but as for the rest, like telling him to pay debts off in a timely manner, is just over the top, in my opinion.
  • I agree with marc, this is not an ER problem per se it is the ees he is approaching are not saying NO and do not ask me again to his request for funds. I would advise the one who complained to do that and ask for his owed amount on payday.
  • Well, maybe the part about paying off the debts is over the top. I'll reconsider that.

But I disagree with you and Lnelson. Behavior on company premises and company time that affects employees IS my business, particularly when its negative behavior.

This guy is hitting up just about everyone he can find for cash and its innappropriate. He is taking advantage of our employee's generosity and I dont mind being the bad guy and telling him to knock it off.

Marc - its not about delving into someone's personal life. Its about unwanted behavior that is occuring in the workplace. You don't delve into people's dating habits for example but if their flirting or advances are making other employees uncomfortable I am sure you would address it.

• I would talk to ee, ask that he refrain from doing this on company time or property and promptly change my no solicitation policy to cover this kind of thing in the future.
  • It seems the employees dont' want to say No to the borrower, so they have come to you. I would tell the employees to handle the situation on their own.
  • IF this is happening during work hours not break or lunch all an ee has to say to this guy is NO now stop bugging me and get to work or I will go to your supervisor. If everyone stood up to this guy there would not be a problem.
  • People who have no trouble saying no never seem to get that there are people out there who do. It seems simple to you, but not necessarily to someone else, and that someone else might be a good worker who feels too intimidated to say no. It depends a lot upon how much power the borrower has with the group, and how difficult it is for the victim to say no.

Our employees don't have to worry that we will protect them from unwanted and unfair behavior only if it qualifies as illegal discrimination. We don't let our employees harass each other, whether it is illegal behavior, something as simple as a lot of perfume, or if someone keeps after them for money.

Fortunately for us, our employees are all adults, and if they regress on the occassion, we remind them politely of our expectations and that usually takes care of it.

Nae
  • Having read all the responses, I declare Paul the winner.

Paul, I had a cash prize for you, but Ray borrowed it.
  • That's a nice philosophy, and I am serious about that comment.

I have recently been thinking about enabling behavior. Those folks that have a difficult time saying no are having problems in all aspects of their lives. If we take care of them in the workplace, how are we helping them develop this ability on their own?
  • In this situation, the behavior has been pervasive and involves at least 7 other staff. Several of these staff have eventually cut off the employee so he has just gone to other people to ask for money.

You also have to understand that this individual can be very persuasive, if not pushy. That is partly why I feel I need to get involved.

HR has different roles in different organizations. Here, HR is extremely involved across the board. When there are employee issues, HR is usually involved if only in an advisory capacity.

My job is to make sure my involvement is welcome, appreciated, and produces positive results for the organization.
  • "Fortunately for us, our employees are all
    adults,"

Nae,

How did you manage that. Most days I feel like the day care administrator.

Jo Ann
  • A good nights sleep is never a bad idea in situations like these. I have considered alot of the feedback given here and am going to go with a "softer" approach with this employee.

The pattern of hitting up people for money needs to be addressed but I am going to stop short of making any demands. I will tell him that if more complaints come in, I will go to the next step.

I am also going to give him a new copy of our EAP info and encourage him to seek financial counseling.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, especially those that disagree with me.
  • Since you asked for disagreeable people to respond, here's my input.

This is none of your business. You are HR and receive a pay check for developing and administering company policies and procedures.

Do you really have a policy about idiots that have difficulty saying no to a moocher? Do you intend to design one? Why on earth for?
  • Like I said earlier, HR is practiced differently in different organizations.

Here, where housing is provided for our employees, I find myself involved in many situations you would never dream of (or want).

Our culture is extremely important to us and we protect it fiercely. An employee with a pervasive habit of making people uncomfortable, regardless of the behavior, will likely be addressed.

No policy will be drafted. The individual will be gently counseled and encouraged to solve the problem on his own through our EAP.

If your response is "grow a backbone" that's fine and thats probably compatible with your culture.

And its still good to have you back!
  • Compatible with my culture. Hmmmmmmmm What does that mean? Here in Arizona, in a manufacturing environment the employee can say "no" to the begger but in your organization, it would be a offense to the poor guy who is putting the pressure on his buddy for $$. Is that it?

Yeah, right. Gently counsel.
  • Follow up

It always bugs me when people dont post a follow up to the situations they describe so here is mine.

EE came by the hallway and I asked him if he had a second. He responded "What did I do?"

I kept it light and friendly. The amount of borrowing was making some people uncomfortable. He freely agreed that he wasnt happy about it either. I encouraged him to seek out our EAP for financial counseling.

The session ended on a positive note. He asked me if he could borrow $20. I think he was joking.

Apparently, according to our payroll guy, he left my office and went straight to payroll to ask for a $100 draw.

At least its his own money.

Rita, our culture is probably not like a manufacturing plant. We are all about getting along, peace, love, and harmony.

And I am the guy that comes after you if you aren't being harmonious enough.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-24-07 AT 03:13PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Until just now, I never thought that HR was a necessary evil in LA-La Land.
  • Yep, who do you think coordinates the group hugs and leads in "kumbaya"??

• Ritaanz... when Paul starts talking about group hugs, do not... I repeat DO NOT look him in the eye. Slowly back away and run for it.
  • This was interesting reading.

I agree with telling the employees they need to say NO. Some employees don't always know HOW to say no, so you help them find the right words, and follow up with them to see how it went. Just like raising children.

I would tell the employees that I COULD step in and tell the begger to knock it off, but then the begger will know that someone complained. Handling it themselves will go a long way toward developing their relationships, and long term harmony. Hurt feelings are avoided.

If the begging becomes disruptive (beggar is leaving his post, interrupting others' workflow, etc.) I'd advise the employee's supervisor to address it. In Paul's situation, it doesn't sound like it's a disruptive situation. The employees are just tired of being asked for cash.

HR is often seen as the go-to guy/gal for the uncomfortable conversations. This is an issue between the employees, and if it becomes disruptive, it's for the employee's supervisor to address.