Suggestion Box

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about implementing an employee suggestion box (bright ideas)and was wondering how you all recognize and reward employees for ideas that are implemented. Do rewards depend on the idea submitted? I was thinking an idea such as casual Friday might be worth a $25 gift certificate, but an idea that generates revenue, saves money or improves our product offering would receive a bigger reward. Any thougts/suggestion are appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't have a traditional suggestion program. We call it the Continuous Process Improvement (CPI) program. Allowable suggestions have to be related to improving some process within the organization. Submissions addressing "parking lot" issues, or fix the water fountain, or allow casual dress are rejected. All submitters are given a $10 gift certificate to the company store where they can redeem it for a variety of items we stock - mostly clothing with the co. logo. Participants whose suggestions are approved and implemented also receive $25. Each quarter we select the best submission based on cost savings and give that participate $300. The awards are cash.
  • I agree with Ray. What he has described is superior to a "suggestions box".

I tried a suggestion box and there are several inherent faults with the concept.

1) You have to check it.
    2) You will get a lot of crank comments
    3) It will become an invitation for anonymous complaints that are impossible to follow up on

Create an improvement program and discuss it regularly. Identify a short list of key people who are designated to accept improvement ideas. Create a system of rewards that are significant enough to encourage participation.

You could create an improvement committee that evaluates the suggestions and chooses awards based on the value of the improvement and how much it will benefit the organization.

Recognize that not all ideas are good ideas. Figure out how you will deal with the enthusiastic employee with terrible ideas. And always communicate the results of each suggestion that is made.

Its interesting but not all employees will make suggestions. In fact, I would venture to say that the majority of suggestions will come from just a few people. For others, making a suggestion is simply too risky and they won't do it.

• We too put up a suggestion box at the request of our ee's. Paul is right on... as this quickly became a complaint box with no names attached. I suggest you go more in line with what Ray suggested than simply a suggestion box.
    Good luck.
  • More good points. We require ee's to fill out a form including their name. No anonymous submisions allowed. Plus their supervisor must initially approve then send on to the QA Director for review.
  • Fortunately, I've had Suggestion Boxes work well. Legitimate issues were investigated, whether signed or unsigned, and addressed in our monthly employee meeting. Responses to signed issues were dealt with individually or, if applicable, at the same meeting. Only HR/GM saw the suggestions, though.

At one place we held a Continuous Improvement Award contest. We advertised the heck out of it. A committee was formed to surface the top 5 suggestions from each division (with various size gift certificate awards) and all suggesters were rewarded with a "I was in the CIA program" T-shirt. Finally, a Corporate committee determined the top 3. Don't recall exactly what the 2nd and 3rd winners got, but #1 got a % of the first 3 year's expected return. On the 1 year anniversary of the implementation of the idea, he got a VERY nice check (in the K's)
  • My brother is a career postal worker in the complaints department (he has great stories) and USPS will give their employees a percentage of the savings generated by the employee's suggestions. It sounds similar to what mlbarker has described.

Think about how large the USPS. A suggestion that saved the organization one million dollars would net the employee $10k if the award was just 1 percent.

My brother has had several suggestions accepted and recieved some nice cash awards.

• My company implemented a "Honey-Do List" for issues, ideas, problems that need fixing, etc. I try to check it every week. So far, the only suggestions I have found are from the owners. But, since I report on this list, and e-mail it to the owners, the stuff is at least getting done now. It is holding managers responsible also, because they have jobs to do posted for the whole company to see.