Long Haired Son of Director of Marketing

Our CEO has suggested that the son of our Director of Marketing needs a haircut. He is an employee and does various labor related jobs in our general business area, like driving the van, setting up and moving furniture, warehouse labor etc. His hair is shoulder length and is tented pink flourescent and blond which is different to say the least. It has been suggested that I have a visit with him about his hair. Our employee handbook only says "Hair should be clean and neatly arranged."

Our Director of Marketing is well thought of by the CEO but her son's flourescent, shoulder length hair needs to be addressed, at the suggestion of the CEO. I don't want to offend the Director of Marketing.

Got any suggestions?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Although an employer has the right to set grooming standards, as every Human Resources professional knows, consistency is the key. So, do you have a policy on grooming standards? Whether written or not, are you applying these standards consistently?

As for how to address it, you might give the marketing director a heads up that you will be addressing the issue with her son. Then meet with the son and explain why the pink, spiked hair does not meet the company's grooming standards.
  • David, I like your "heads up" comment. To add to what you said, I would also be prepared to explain exactly how it doesn't conform to "clean and neatly arranged". From what I am interpreting here, I would bet that it does. What it doesn't conform to is the norm (whatever that is). That does not violate company policy.

Am I wrong, Don?

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-02-07 AT 09:22AM (CST)[/font][br][br]The problem I think you have is that your hair policy is vague. I have seen 10 inch mohawks that were "clean and neatly arranged". Or ponytails, etc.

Personally, it sounds like this guy does general labor work for you. I'd would try to work out a compromise. Tuck his hair under a hat or keep it in a neat ponytail. Keep expectations appropriate for the environment.

The other question I have is who hired this guy and what did his hair look like at the time he was hired? I think you will cause a morale issue if your expectations for grooming were not clearly communicated.

As for the relationship with the marketing director, I would personally leave her out of it. The young man is an adult. Treat him as such. Deal with him like any other employee.
  • I agree with Paul about leaving his mother out of it. Would you tell anyone else's mom before talking to an employee?
  • I agree. If his hair is causing problems when he is in the general work area, then he should just be asked to tone it down by wearing a hat or something.

If he is technically meeting your policies, perhaps it is time to go back to the CEO and point it out. It might be time to update the policy, or he/she might decide it isn't worth the hassle.

Either way, leave the mom out of it.

Nae
  • I agree w/ above. Another tact might be a casual conversation about individual credibility or being taken seriously relative to his own future plans. That hairstyle in the recording or creative arts business wouldn't cause an eyebrow to lift. Unless his performance is compromised, it's a non-issue.
  • Just want to add a vote to the others who say leave Mom out of it.
  • Just how is his hair style affecting his job performance? Are customers complaining? Is it affecting business in any way?
  • I am assuming that the CEO won't personally approach the young man and discuss his hair with him? HR gets the privilege, right?