Hi everyone! Gosh, it's been a long time, but I need help!

Hi!

I have one satellite location that likes to "think" they are separate from the "corporate headquarters". To be fair, they've been "allowed" to think that. However, times are a changing and we want them to now send us their personnel files (they've kept 'em & only sent us changes/modification forms). We want them here now as we do the payroll, plus, all audits are done from this (corporate) location. Also, it's always been weird to me that they wouldn't send us the files & just keep copies for themselves.

Anyone else have multiple sites & are all of the forms located in one place (corp.) or does each location keep their own records?

Thank you for your help in advance. I think it's been well over a year since I last posted. I wonder if any of the regulars (back then at least) are still around?

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If a location wants to keep a copy, that's fine with me, but the master copy belongs in my cabinet and they are aware of that. I had a conversation with a branch manager recently to relay the feelings of our CEO - "She didn't buy a franchise... we hired her to manage OUR branch." I thought that was well put.

• Hello again, mwild31. Yep, for reasons you state, the files belong in one central location. If supervisors want to keep a separate "file", so to speak, I let 'em, but I want the originals here in the central files.

Good to hear from you again, mwild31.
  • Hi LarryC! I hope all is well. I missed you guys too. x:-)
  • Sorry I can't answer your post but I want to say "welcome back". Nice to see you again.
  • Welcome back...
    Same here we will occassionally hire a new branch manager who thinks they know best and they begin keeping all of their own files. Usually just explaining it to them takes care of the matter. If not, do what you have to in order to be consistent in how your personnel files are maintained.
  • Ditto to what everyone else is saying. We have multiple locations, but all HR records are kept at the Corporate location.

Welcome back to the forum!
  • We have had multiple locations for years but have never allowed the locations to keep their own files or even copies of anything with personal information on it. They are allowed to keep copies of ee calendars with only ee name and ee #. Attendance, evals, disciplinary action, etc are to be noted on the calendars and the original forms forwarded to corporate where everything is under lock and key with limited controlled access. Original calendars are then forwarded to corp. at year end. No, not paranoia, our outlying locations are in very remote places and subject to frequent breakins. Just not willing to take the chance of mass identity theft.
  • Ditto again. Our organization has multiple locations (though in a very small radius). We are technically a single-site employer, but we have multiple LLCs and employee lease agreements between the LLCs. We happen to have all files in a single location, but I have continuously fought the battle for 5+ years to keep it that way. My position is that we satisfy just about every definition of joint employer there is, we hire everyone into one LLC and lease to the others, and we process everyone's payroll in the hiring LLC. Based on that scenario, I have so far been successful in my arguments to keep personnel, FMLA, W/C, and benefits files in a single department. It's just easier when it comes to responding to regulatory agencies. Plus, it gives us the opportunity to demonstrate through practice that we gave neutral points along with the way to help check or guard against potential discriminatory practices.

Welcome back.
  • You obviously have corp vs. the world going on here. IMHO you don't gain credibility by flexing the corp muscle and say this is the way were are going to do it.

It seems just as logical to give you copies of what you need. I can't see a business reason to do otherwise. Even Frank's response from the CEO is basically we are the boss and you do what we say.

Here's what I suggest. If you guys insist on getting the originals, hop on a plane and go down there and help them make the copies. That may go a long way in mending the fences between the two locations.
  • About a year ago we moved all personnel files to one location. There was some initial resistance but now it's second nature.
  • Hey MWild, it's about time you came back. None of us know how to go on the DOL site and copy and paste. LOL

OK, we have 2 sites, Corp. HQ is in MD and I'm in our NY facility. We keep all our own records in NY, nothing goes to the Corp. office. If I need to reference a personnel file, I don't want to have to drive 350 miles to see it.

Do your satellite facilities have HR departments, or do you serve that function for them? I think that is the key to how it should be done.

• >Do your satellite facilities have HR
    >departments, or do you serve that function for
    >them? I think that is the key to how it should
    >be done.

Absolutely agree. Great point.
  • (:| Ray - you're such a stinker.

I missed you. x:*

I did WAY more than copy/paste stuff - I gave you links!

x:D
  • I don't have any advice to give, but just wanted to tell you hi! It is good to hear from you.

Nae
  • We have 28 sites, all in the same metro area. Original files are kept at the schools, and they fax us what we need to pay the employees. We are working on doing all that stuff electronically, as currently we rely on the fax machine and a weekly courier for everything. There's an insane amount of paper flowing back and forth.

I also require them to fax me the signed copies of any disciplinary documents and performance evaluations.

Our internal auditor checks the files twice per year. She also verifies the personnel file cabinet is locked every time she visits a location. She is at each school at least every other month.

I train the supervisors on completing forms, how to maintain a file, confidentiality, etc.

In my past life, we kept everything at our site, and sent payroll stuff to corporate electronically. (Corp was in a different state) They trained us in what we needed to know, and they sent an auditor out annually to make sure we didn't do anything stupid.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-27-07 AT 04:17PM (CST)[/font][br][br]My company has 1500 sites and we centralize records. This doesn't mean remote locations can't retain copies, just that original documents are retained centrally. Doing this allows us to have the ability to implement quality control standards since we ensure that all required documents are collected and that policy is being followed (document retention laws are being adhered to, document production can be accomplished for subpoenas, disaster prevention/recovery protocols can be followed, and we can pass audits regarding our controls). We also do this to take this burden off of the remote sites each individually having to do the same.

This works for a large organization, although I believe it could have the same benefit for smaller organizations as long as the remote site can keep copies of their documents.

• Hi everyone! I'm sorry I didn't reply during the day - too busy! :-)

Thank you for all of your responses.

I was pretty sure this request was standard amongst most companies. In addition to the reasons I originally state, we need to do it for quality control as well. We recently had an issue where the satelite wanted to hold corp. accountable for an error, but without any records of our own, it was a hard point for them to win - and of course they didn't. x}> But! What a waste of time! Quality Control/Audit/Efficiencies, etc. all of the reasons that I thought I would get from this great group!

I've missed you guys! Thank you for your assistance!

• Efficiency? I don't think it's efficient at all to have two copies of a file in two different places.
  • Go back to #9, #12, Stephen. Maybe that will make you feel better.
  • I don't understand Frank. This has nothing to do with making me feel better. I believe it's inefficient to have two copies of a file in two places. If someone needs something you fax it.

My suggestion on driving was so Wild could start to build a relationship with the plant.

IMHO when corporate flexes their muscles and suggests doing something stupid like having two copies of the same file in two places, it destroys the relationship. They may say yes sir, yes ma'am when you're looking but they snicker at you when you turn your back.
  • Thanks for you help SMACE, but it your suggestion wasn't what I needed right now. I appreciate your concern though. :-)
  • OK, you know what you need. I realize now that I did not answer your question, I apologize.

We have 10 plant locations and our corp headquarters is located at one of the plants. Each plant has their own files. We do not keep any copies. We are audited by an outside firm every year. The auditors randomly pick 10-20 files to audit. The plants fax their information to us to give to the auditors. I visit each plant a few times per year and when I am there I audit their files.
  • For audit purposes, the p files are kept at the facilities (audits are done onsite by state)and I receive a copy of everything. The hardest thing for me to relay is that ANYTHING that goes into their file needs to go into mine. As everyone knows, if we are involved in a claim and information is "discovered" later in an offsite P file, it doesn't look good for us. I have had this difficulty and it is very frustrating.
    Welcome back.