Drug Testing

I need a little input from the forum. We are a transportation company and follow a strict zero tolerence for drug and alcohol use for our drivers. We random every month, any question immediate termination. That is a no brainer. Here is where the situation gets a little muddy.

I have a long term employee in our accounting department that over the years has been suspected and confronted about illegal drug use. We use to random the office staff but for the last several years have not.

I cannot target her directly but want her to know that we can random test all employees. My CEO wants her scared but is not ready to fire her. Single parent etc...

I am looking for brochure or information that I can send out to office staff with strong statements to cover the situation. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First of all I hate calling you Parothead , because I don't even know you, but that's all I've got. So Parothead, you have an ultra safety sensitive position (driver) and a nonsafety sensitive position (accounting). Here in the Land of 10,000 Laws To Protect Drug Users, we cannot random test nonsafety sensitive positions. I don't know about the Land of Lincoln (or is it Obama now?).

However, you certainly can do a reasonable suspicion drug test. You must have pretty reasonable suspicion if you have already confronted her about this. You can hold that over her head.

That said, we have lost some "very good employees" over the years through our drug testing program, but looking back, we don't miss one of them. Now if you can just convince your CEO that to prolong her drug use by not testing, you are just enabling her. Other than that I would try my darndest to convince her to seek treatment. Just remember that if you do that and she does seek treatment, the ADA is now in play.

Good luck!
  • Thanks Larry.. my name is Deb but I am a true Parothead. I will proceed cautiously. Our employee handbook states that part of our employment requires that each employee be subject to random drug testing. In the past it has been done, it was simply one expense that could be eliminated and not put anyone at risk. I do think she needs help just not sure the suggestion with this employee will be received anyway but negative.
  • We drug test everyone randomly at least once per year. We employ a diversity of vocations from truck drivers to waste water treatment, etc.. Even though there is an expense involved, it is minimal in comparison to the avoidance of drug use by our employees and the need for a drug free workplace. Everyone (including our labor unions) understands the requirement and the need for it, so we get very little if any resistance. I recommend reinstituting your random screening for all employees. Try to do them on Monday too!!
    Jim

• Deb, I have to agree with what allsteaks said about the cost being minimal. A few years back one of our drivers rana astop sign and T-boned another vehicle. Here in the Land of 10,000 Reasons Why It's Our Fault, it was automatically our fault. Adding to the misery was the fact that our driver turned up positive for cocaine in a post accident drug screen. We got sued and lost and our insurance company paid. However, having an agressive and very active drug testing program saved us from punitive damages, which can be astronomical and insurance won't cover punitive. The driver wasn't so lucky.

Try to explain to your CEO the importance of assuming a minimal cost in comparison to laying yourselves open for a much bigger cost. Good luck.
  • BLR has a very nice "Drug Free Workplace" booklet and G Neil has some good "Drug Free Workplace" posters that might work. Does your drug testing policy cover your non-federal ee's and include language for "reasonable suspicion"? If so, what about a memo to all employees reminding them of the policy?