Attendance policy (unplanned call-ins)

Listed below is our absence policy - would appreciate your input as to what your company's have in place for # of occurences as some of our managers have requested a review as are experiencing more unscheduled time off in their areas.

Absences (3 unscheduled) – Three occurrences in a 45-day period are considered excessive. We realize that an associate may be ill for two or more days, therefore an absence of two or more consecutive days for the same reason will be considered as one occurrence.

· Examples – associate sick, child sick, school closing, weather, etc.

Late Arrivals – Four late arrivals in a 45-day period is considered excessive. Late arrivals include reporting to work late at the beginning of your workday and after your lunch period or breaks.

· Examples – overslept, flat tire, weather, traffic, etc.

Combine Occurrences – Any combination of five attendance occurrences in a 45-day period is considered to be excessive.
Would appreciate your advice as to how many days you have listed for your PTO policy

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We allow 10 occurrences in a rolling 12 months. Absences are a full occurrence, tardies are a half.

However, the policy predates me, and there are some things I would like to fix. For example, you can't use sick time for anyone but yourself. So if your child is sick, make sure you lie to me. Unless, on the other hand, you're getting close to the attendance occurrence limit. In that case, borrow from your unearned vacation and incur no attendance points, regardless of how flimsy your excuse or how little notice you give. Even if you are sick, say it's your child and use the vacation time instead to dodge the occurrence point.

When you read the policy, it's clear - it was cobbled together by adding a paragraph or changing something everytime anyone "got away" with something you think they shouldn't have. As a result, nothing makes sense and there is little consistency or fairness.

Man, the view from atop my soapbox is great!
  • Our time period is 90 days. An unscheduled absence is anything 2 hours or more. (So an employee arriving an hour late for a flat tire would not hit our absenteeism policy. We do not have a set number for tardies in our policy.)

Once an employee has 3 unscheduled absences in a 90 day period they are verbally warned (counseled) and the next time period, as well as the next level of discipline starts immediately, even if it has only been 60 days. However, we have a number of levels before an employee is terminated. Thus an employee who went 89 days before hitting the 3 mark could actually go more than a year before termination, or it could be within weeks if they continued to be absent all the time. An employee who was counseled and improved in the next 90 day period would drop back to the prior level. We have only had one employee who has even been counseled at the first level, and that did the trick.

Hope this helps.

Nae
  • Our Attendance policy is rather long.

I will just email it to you.

Shirley
  • Our employees get 13 sick days and 6 personal days! Once they use all of that (and some do) then they get docked and could also be terminated if absences continue without a doctor's note.
  • I feel that our policy is very lenient. If an employee has 3 unexcused occurrences within a rolling 30 day time period, we move forward with a verbal warning. The unexcused occurrences include days off without prior approval and unexcused tardiness or leaving early. If an employee is off for consecutive days, it is considered as 1 occurrence. If there are 3 more occurrences with in a 30 day rolling window, we do escalate to a written warning. If there are 3 more occurrences within a 30 day rolling window, we move forward with a suspension without pay, and then ultimately termination if there are even more occurrences. We do reserve the right to deal with individual cases on a case by case basis, and can escalate to any level of disciplinary action at any time. However, we typically work through the process to remain consistent. Most of the time we find that most get back on track with a verbal warning. However, unfortunately, we have those that work through all of the stages of progressive discipline, and we ultimately terminate them.