Employee's Pay

An employee is responsible for buffing floors on a weekly basis, but the VP of that company witnesses this employee not buffing the floors. He proceeded to just mop the floors instead. Can you take away this employee's pay for not doing the work he is responsible for doing?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would think not, just as you can't not pay an employee for unauthorized overtime. It's a performance issue.
  • He was performing work, just not doing it correctly. He must be paid, but could be subject to disciplinary action.
  • I agree with the others that this is a performance issue. I would have his supervisor reiterate the job duties etc. etc. It may have been something as simple as that night was an unscheduled buffing day or something. This may not be something that the VP was aware of unless this VP is the supervisor of the employee mentioned in your post. Besides I would think the VP would have more on his/her plate that critiquing the janitorial staff. (?) Although sadly it wouldn't be a first and it won't be the last.

I know I'm being crass but what if this VP did not perform all of their expected work duties, would this person be willing to give up a portion of their pay or bonus? Yeah...that's what I thought. Anyway it may have been a bad day for the VP and seeing that this employee didn't buff the floors just set him/her off on a rant. Only you can figure this one out...
  • No, you cannot dock the pay for this.

You can document a performance issue or even terminate the guy, but you cannot dock his pay.