Diluted Speciman Policy

We need to incorporate a "Diluted Speciman" drug testing clause into our Alcohol and Drug policy. Does anyone have an example that they have used?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our section which addresses this is in the Notice and Consent Form. It states: "Should any specimen be deemed dilute, a second specimen will be obtained and tested. A second dilute specimen will disqualify me from employment." In reviewing the last 125 screens I have had 6 dilutes on the first test and none which tested dilute the second time.
  • Do you think that could be because more time has passed by, in order for a drug to get out of their system, if the dilute is from where the candidate took something to wash out the drug that may have been used.
  • This certainly could be true in a few instances. However, when I asked our onsite nurse about this, she indicated it most generally happens due to individuals taking in excessive water (strenuous activities). Our policy also includes post accident and reasonable suspicion so the type of individuals you are referring to usually are usually discovered. If your state allows random testing that's even better.

• We have been told by our "MRO" that the same thing that HRguyNH said. It can be just someone who just drinks a lot of liquids. We have had a couple of situations where someone was on some medicine which caused/required them to drink water which caused this. One case was a young person who had never had a drug test. Someone told him to make sure he drank a lot of water before he went because he would need to give a urine sample, and he took the literally.
    We do not have a diluted speciman clause.
    E Wart