March Madness -- again

Well, it's that time of year again, and folks are getting excited about putting together an office pool for the NCAA tournament.

Forgive me if this is a question with an obvious answer, but are office pools (where folks contribute money that someone eventually wins) illegal, ill advised, or just background noise in the scheme of HR matters?

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • On a competitor's site, (known as SHRM) they currently have an article that says the March maddness pools "may not be such a bad thing in the office. One expert says"...

To my knowledge we have never had a "problem" with office pools. However, we did attempt to eliminate pools once before only to find out that our Chairman of the Board really enjoyed interacting with our staff by playing the various pools. So... we still allow them.
    Good luck.
  • I actually go around and tell everyone that office pools are not allowed. Everyone says, "Yeah, OK Lar".I do it half tongue-in-cheek, because I know it goes on. The owners even get in.

But I do accomplish what I want and that is to be shielded from it, so that in future depositions, I can, in full Sgt. Schultz voice, say, "I know nothing!"

So I guess I ignore that it goes on. Works for me.

I'm going with Kansas.

• I'm with Larry - we actually have a statement in our employee handbook about "no gambling," yet it doesn't stop people from asking me anyway. I basically tell them that the CEO does not wish for them to take place during business hours but that before/after work and lunch times are their own business.

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.
  • So when you tell the prosecuting attorney, "I know nothing!" and then he pulls out a copy of your email on HRHero regarding same and says do you remember this... guess you can always declare that you have no recollection of that email.
  • I will say what I always say in depositions or court: "I have absolutely no recollection of anything, especially what you just asked me. You will have better results questioning that potted plant in the corner."
  • I'm sort of in your position, Larry. But it's hard when my office is in a high traffic area. I hear "$5.00," "web site to log your entries," which gives me visions of people spending work time designing web sites or sending people links to web sites, etc. But once I start inquiring....

But seriously, what is my liabiity here? Will the anti-gambling commission come after our mid-sized office? Will an EE complain that s/he was coerced into joining, and that this was the start of their gambling addiction? Or will someone in a "protected" category complain that s/he was excluded from participating? I need to decide whether to continue the "see no evil" approach or remind people of the restrictions, but none of the above "worst case scenarios" seem likely enough to take a stand. And of course any message would only affect 10% of the work force and the rest of the group will wonder if I don't have enough to do that I'm worrying about this. ::sigh::

Meanwhile, maybe we forum-ites should put together our own pool since we can't participate in our office pools! (there would be a cheesy grin here if I could get the Emoticon shortcuts to work).

• Based on my experience and not be an attorney I would say your risk is minimal. Everything seems
    to have a certain amount of risk and this is one I don't lose sleep over.

Now when I want to play Sgt. Schultz I send an email to "all users" in the company and all employees delete me from their emails.
  • I just ask my employees to keep it off the company e-mail, not use the company printers/copiers to reproduce brackets, etc. If they want to talk about it at the coffee maker or in the lunchroom, I don't care. Just don't use company resources or leave a paper trail in the office. So everyone gives the ringleader (same guy every year) their home e-mail address and $5 and they handle it that way.

I haven't made my picks yet... we have until tomorrow.
  • The people around here pass around their money in plain white envelopes so as not to "arouse my suspision". I make it a point to make the "cross" sign (like I'm warding off vampires)whenever I see a white envelope. It's a fun tongue-in-cheek game that goes on during Super Bowl, March Madness, and the different fantasy seasons.

Like neveradull, I don't lose sleep over this. I actually enjoy it.
  • In the grand scheme of things I think it's a minor issue and personally we don't have a policy against them. We have so many other important issues to deal with that pools are the least of my concerns. And as stated above, could be good for office morale!
  • Its become part of our national social fabric.

Here in my organization, our pool is a non-betting pool so that makes it easier. Just for bragging rights. No money changes hands. At least I think so...

Its fun for employees. Management gets whipped by some kid from the dish room who memorizes Sports Illustrated and has a Rainman like knowledge of college basketball stats. Its all good.

"You can't stop it. You can only hope to contain it."

• Ours is kind of similar Paul. We sort of play for money. All money collected is donated to the charity of the winner's choice.