New Minimum Wage Law

I received an alert that the new Federal Minimum Wage went into effect Feb 1 and I had 60 days to post it so buy their poster now, etc.

It hasn't actually gone into effect yet, has it?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-12-07 AT 03:11PM (CST)[/font][br][br]No-from what I understand Congress is still working out all the details and are working on a final draft-the Senate passed the bill on 2/1 though-and it may be as late as spring before the final draft is completed. The first step in the new rate will be effective within 60 days of being enacted.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-12-07 AT 03:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thats the Federal level. Many states have passed their own state minimum wage laws.

Nevada generally tracks with the Fed law, however the current law calls for $6.15 per hour, but $5.75 is enough if a group health policy is provided.
  • According to an article I read today: "House and Senate leaders, negotiations have started to craft a final piece of legislation that will be acceptable to both sides. The Congressional leaders have indicated that final action on the bill could come as early as mid-February. However, if the negotiations drag out for more than two weeks, then the final drafting of a minimum wage increase might not be complete until later this spring, sources say."

For what ever that is worth...
  • Good information. Thanks everyone!
  • Minimum wage has gotten to be a very political issue these days at the federal, state, and local level - so you really need to keep your eyes open with respect to the jurisdiction you're in. Here in NM we are watching for the proposed changes in federal MW, have a proposed state change in MW before the legislature, and have had at least two municipalities (Albuquerque and Santa Fe) implement minimim wage laws at the local level. Sorta makes the posting requirements interesting ...
  • As for the FEDERAL minimum wage poster, here's what they have to date:

[url]http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/posters/flsa.htm[/url]

Speaking of legal posters, I'd like to express my frustration. Either I purchase the all-in-ones and have to replace the entire poster with every single change, or can order (or even print for free) separate pages and tack multiple pieces up, so I only have to replace one page with each change in the law. When dealing with multiple locations... Arrggggh!

On a STATE level, the most recent online form for NV:

[url]http://www.laborcommissioner.com/forms.htm[/url]