Explicit pics sent through company e-mail

This may seem obvious but trust me, I need a sound logical argument to enforce this. We have an internet policy which prohibits accessing certain webstites for the reason of protecting our network from viruses, etc. However, explicit sexual pictures travel through the network via e-mail because we allow .jpg formats through. These pictures do not get circulated to everyone, just a few who want to receive them or are open to receiving them. Some may or may not be in management. I believe they should be prohibited altogether for HR reasons (like sexual harrassment should someone unintentionally see them). Does anyone have wording in a policy I can refer to. Thanks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • login to HRhero and look at the sample policies. There is one that covers e-mails/voice mails that should do the trick.
  • We have a fairly lengthy Computer & Internet Use Policy that specifically addresses inappropriate use of the Internet/e-mail usage. When employees stray I remind them to re-read the policy. I then conduct a staff meeting once or twice a year that includes reminders of the policy and make a point to look everyone in the eye as I'm speaking. Those that blush or avert their eyes, we know to watch closely. Of course we are a small company so I can do that. I'd be happy to send a copy of our policy if you'd like.
  • Thanks, that would be very helpful. The verbage in the sample policy is helpful too. My e-mail address is [email]patty.oneal@blackgould.com[/email]

• We too have a farily detailed computer use agreement that I will be happy to sent to you. My biggest concern would be that you mentioned that some are management. An outsider could and would conclude therefore that the management of your company not only condones but actively participates in this very type of behavior/conduct.