on-call Time

I've searched online already, but not sure my question is answered.

One of my reporters has been questioning the "on-call" status when a reporter has to listen to the police scanner over the weekend in case of accidents, wrecks, fire, etc.

The way things work now is the reporter is on-call and not on the clock unless he hears about an incident and goes to investigate — then the pay-clock starts.

However, one of my subordinates says there should be some compensation for merely listening to the scanner, because it "ties one to the county" since they can't travel out of the range of the local police, emergency channels (i.e. the county) so limits one's activities over the weekend. This is for one of our more rural papers that only prints weekly. All information I have found leads me to believe we would not pay this. Yes, he is tied to the county, but here is some other information I have found:

-Since compensation depends on whether they can use the on-call time for personal pursuits, the fact that they actually engaged in personal activities is a significant consideration for the courts.
-if employees aren't tethered to their homes or your premises awaiting a call to duty, they have greater freedom to pursue personal activities while on call, and the time is less likely to be compensable. However,
-When forest rangers had to remain within 50 miles of the workplace while on call, for example, a court ruled that the restriction was one factor in determining that the on-call time must be compensated. Another court, however, has held that police officers who were required to stay within the city limits when on call weren't entitled to compensation for the on-call time.

Another factor is that the employee isn't required to report to the scene unless it is deemed "newsworthy".

So which is it??

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You might be jumping the gun a bit: Requiring an employee to stay within the county may not be the sort of restriction that would sufficiently impead his ability to use the time for his own purpose. But this only matters if the employee is not actually working during the on-call time. Requiring the employee to listen to a police scanner sounds like work itself. If the employee is not otherwise exempt, you may need to pay for that time (possibly at a lower rate).
  • I am awaiting a response to my question of: is the scanner mobile? Meaning, can he take it with him or is he tied down listening to it?

I think that will be ultimate factor...at least according to our legal counsel.

• Don't miss Orlaw's point. Even if the scanner is mobile he has to constantly listen to it. He can't go to the movies, can't play a round of golf. I think the ee has a good point.
  • Does he rotate this duty with someone else, or is he responsible to respond 24-7?
  • Unless the employee can be free to do anything they would do if they weren't listening to the scanner you should probably compensate them. It doesn't have to be alot, however.

This comes back to the old 'waiting to be engaged or engaged to wait' idea. Since the employee can do most things (but not go to the movies for instance), the compensation can be minimal. I would definitely compensate them.

You might also call some similar businesses (not competitors) located in other parts of the country and see how they handle it.

Good luck!

Nae
  • OK, we've decided this should be paid b/c the employee is: "unable to effectively use such time to attend to his or her own personal activities."
    We don't have a formal on-call policy that addresses the additional compensation that should be given. Is there a magic formula out there? How do you all compensate for on-call status?
    Could we give a lump sum for being on call that weekend? They would then get OT if actually called to report if over 40 for the week.

• If the time is deemed to be compensable "work" (whether because it is flat out "work" that the ER is directing the EE to perform, or because it is simply "engaged to be waiting" time that the EE cannot effectively use for his/her own purposes), you need to ensure that the EE is paid at least minimum wage for the hours worked. This can be paid on either an hourly basis or a lump sum, provided it equals at least minimum wage for the total hours worked. You could also consider setting up a salary arrangement to cover all hours worked, provided the salary equals at least minimum wage. Either way, I'd be sure to have the EE sign an acknowledgment of the wage rate that will be paid so that there can be no legitimate after-the-fact dispute.

With respect to overtime, unless the EE is otherwise exempt, you'll need to count these hours towards the 40-hour weekly threshhold. This applies even if you pay on a salary basis. Unless exempt, you'll still need to pay OT--the math just gets a little more complicated with a salaried non-exempt EE.
  • I agree if the EE is non-exempt, but there shouldn't be a need for additional compensation if they are qualified as exempt.
    First post, just wanted to see how this works.

• Welcome to the Forum, Jim.

Good point about being exempt, which would allow HRinGA to work him around the clock. I was exempt in my last job as a reporter.

The FLSA regs mention journalist as a position that could be exempt as a creative professional. But working for a rural weekly newspaper, I'm not sure he'd meet the salary requirement of $455 per week.
    29 C.F.R. § 541.302

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • no, this is an hourly position. However, our legal advisors state we could pay a separate lower rate for monitoring time.
  • I agree with that and I believe the only requirement is at least minimum wage.
  • This thread is interesting because I am working on a new On-Call policy here and have everything covered except the exempt factor. Would paying exempt employees for being on-call effect their status? Because the policy is paying minimum 4 hours for on-call/stand-by time at minimum wage. The powers that be want to be able to give an equiv bonus amount to exempt employees who go on-call for a night...
  • I guess I'm missing something in this thread. Compensating "non-exempt" employees for "on-call" time has always been and will always be a grey area.

However, there shouldn't be any grey area when it comes to compensating "exempt " employees. Being "on-call" should be part of their job description. Every HR Director/Practitioner that I know is always "on-call" for accidents, union strikes, security problems, etc. I don't get any extra pay if I come in on a Saturday to interview a special applicant or at 9 PM to handle an accident, or at 2 AM to handle a chemical leak, etc.

What am I missing?
  • Rita... Trust me I am right there with you. I have been fortunate enough to inherit quite a bizarre set of policies and habits at this company (I am new) and have a long road ahead of me. Exempt should not get paid for on-call or anything otherwise compensated for those that are non-exempt. I am just being pushed in that direction and am hoping for some proof that it isn't cool with FLSA etc.
  • I think it depends. If our building alarm goes off or certain things happen, I will be expected to come in. That is part of my duties and I am ok with that. If my boss suddenly asked me to start listening to a scanner for one weekend a month, I might have to rethink the issue.

Many professionals are expected to come in for various duties. How often they are called and other things play a factor. Doctors in a practice, for instance, may receive on-call pay for those days/nights they take a turn. In such a situation they are much more likely to be needed and have to drop everything. They must carry a beeper (or other device), make sure they do not drink, etc., etc., so they are ready and able.

It really depends on the situation, but most exempt employees should consider being called in for emergencies as part of the job.

Just my 2 cents.

Nae