Medicare eligible

We have an EE who has recently termed from our health insurance plan because she is going with Medicare. She was actually eligible for Medicare years ago, but she chose to stay on our health insurance and we agreed to it. Did we have to let her stay on our health insurance plan? Could we have told her she is no longer eligible. Do most of you out there ask your staff to go with Medicare once they are eligible? I'm wondering what we would do if she wants to go back on our health insurance at next enrollment period. I know because of her age that increases our premiums.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Your insurance policy should control this. I would never 'ask' an employee to drop off our plan as this might bring a charge of discrimination. However, some plans specifically exclude employees who have access to other insurance. Check your policy and/or talk to your broker/agent. They should know if you should or should not allow. Also, if it is not in your policy and you want it there, they might make an adjustment next renewal.

Good luck!

Nae
  • We have some employees over 65 who are only on our group policy, some that have only Medicare, and some who have elected both... and ours is primary.
    It all depends on how your plan is written. However, if it isn't addressed (if you coordinate benefits) they can be covered by both, or just yours if they wish to be so. The only time I know that they have to drop the coverage is if they are on COBRA and become eligible for Medicare, this is like any other coverage they become eligible for and they are no longer eligible for COBRA.
    We have at least 5 or 6 who are 65 or older. Most of these have hospital coverage only. (Why pay for 2). Also our plan's prescription is certified so that they can take Medicare D when they drop ours so they don't need to do this now.
    Talk with your broker/agent. They should be guiding you.
    E Wart