Problem in the Bathroom

I've had some recent complaints that someone is spitting up blood and mucus in the sink of the men's manufacturing bathroom. There are about 100 men who use this particular bathroom. People are naturally unhappy about this, but I'm not sure how to stop it. We don't know of anyone who is obviously sick.

Early this year, I had another problem in the men's bathroom, where someone was pooping (I have a 6 month old daughter, so excuse the phrase) on the toilets and floor. I put up a lot of signs in multiple languages and it stopped. However, this one is probably out of the person's control, where the other situation wasn't (i.e. use the toilet as intended).

Any ideas?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The first serious post I initiated on this forum had to do with a poop painter we had in our facility. It was occurring primarily in one men's room. We put up signs. We removed the stall doors - that just made the innocent angry. It was known all over the plant that we had a problem. So, I finally got all the guys together in the break room and closed the door. In my sternest demeanor I told them we had a problem, what it was, and what we would do if we caught the guy. I slowly looked around the room making eye contact with as many as possible and said, "we know it is one of you guys". Talked about how this is our "home" and we are proud of it and want to keep it presentable. I asked that if anyone sees anything that could lead us to the culprit, please help us out telling them that this problem is a reflection on all of us. And I said if we catch the culprit, he will be fired immediately. That was over 3 years ago. Haven't had a problem since.

That may be a little drastic since this is not vandalism. But, maybe you or a male manager needs to have a "father-son" talk with the guys and tell them whoever is responsible has to clean up after themselves. It's not fair to leave it for someone else.
  • Are you thinking its the same person? What options are available to you?

Is there any reason why this person can't or won't clean up after themselves?

Just sort of makes one queasy thinking about it...
  • No, I don't think it's the same person as the poop incidents. My understanding is that was more of a cultural issue with a few of our employees that are not originally from the US. Once I put up signage (along with diagrams), it stopped.

I think who ever is doing this now with the blood has a serious medical problem and just doesn't seem to care about cleaning up after himself.

• immaturity comes to my mind. This reads like a prankster or up and coming movie star. Install a video camera to see the sink area, that will help you identify. Just announce that the company has installed a camera in order to catch the person that is obviously sick and ashamed to admit to having a medical situation that he can not handle!

Richard
  • Ah... be careful putting a camera in the rest room. You could have severe privacy issues much worse than the problems you have now.
  • I don't want to put up a camera and invade anyone's privacy - illegal or not. I'm going to have to rely on a few signs explaining cleaniness, etc, and hopefully, someone sees who is doing it and reports it. Thanks.
  • I would be more than a little concerned about what the sick person is spreading around both inside and outside the bathroom.

Maybe letting the staff know, through email or a staff meeting that you do have medical insurance and that there is a Family Medical Leave program to protect your job if you are ill. Serious conditions can cause problems for all employees and should be addressed for both your safety and theirs.

Also let them know that because of HIPPA if they seek medical help their records are kept confidential from the staff that everyone is not going to know that they are sick. Also let them know that if they talk to HR about it than it will be kept confidential and HR will help them with resources to help them with the problem.

That would be what I would do.

Shirley