Videotaping

What are the rights of the employer in videotaping employees at work? Do the ee's have to be notified in advance that they are being videotaped?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think it's probably wise for you to check with your individual state laws on that - for example, here are the laws in Texas, taken from the Texas Workforce Commission:

"Video Surveillance
    Same basic rules as for telephone monitoring – if audio is also recorded, notice of such monitoring is needed

To avoid grumbling about covert surveillance and possible bad publicity, go ahead and just let employees know that video monitoring of certain areas will take place

Never attempt to videotape areas where it is known that employees may be undressed on a routine basis (restrooms, dressing rooms)

Only authorized personnel should ever view surveillance tapes – defamation and invasion of privacy suits can result if tapes are shown to unauthorized persons"

Basically, you can videotape employees, but depending on what exactly you're doing, they may need to be informed and/or give signed consent.

• My understanding is that there are certain restrictions as to video, audio, whether the area is public or whether there is an expectation of privacy.

I think if you are video taping in a public area where no expectation of privacy exists, you should be OK by simply posting notice that the area is under surveillance.

You aren't planning to record audio are you? Thats far more complicated and requires (I believe) written authorization by those being recorded.

Check your local state regs to be sure before you start.