Criminal Background Checks

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-31-06 AT 07:47AM (CST)[/font][br][br]In the last 12 months, my company has started implementing criminal background checks on new managers, new corporate office personnel, and some field staff. I started using American Background for this process. During a managers meeting last week, managers had asked why we aren't using one of the million background searches that you can find on the internet. They tend to be cheaper and a faster turn around time. (American Background is about $40-60 depending on state, and has a turn around time of 3-5 bus. days.)

Is there a difference between a company that specializes in doing these types of checks compared to the other companies/web sites that are out there? How do you decide what service is best for your company? Do you have any guidelines on what your company should be able to provide for you as a service?

Any insight you can give would be helpful.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • After recently changing background check companies myself, I can tell you that 3-5 business days is standard, if not great! We now use a more expensive service that has longer turnaround time (5-7 days) but the search is much deeper and detailed.

I have found that it is easiest, cost effective, and efficient to use a company that specializes in background checks, especially if you ever encounter a situation where you need support. I highly recommend ADPs program, especially if you're already using ADP software of any sort. Their customer service has been exemplary and if I request a rush on a check, they've been able to meet my deadline.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Sarah
  • I follow our owner company's policy, therefore I use USIS. They usually come back within 24 hours and cost about $35.

I do very little of this sort of thing, so just ask for the same package as our owner company. I am not sure how in depth it is, since I just use the package already set up, but I know it checks about 7 things. These include SS# check and criminal history.

Hope this helps.

Nae