Discharged employee reapplies; need verbage for "sorry" letter

A former discharged employee has brought in her application for employment. We have absolutely no desire to reemploy this person.

I need some help with the verbage for the letter that her application will not be considered.

Thank you.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you send a letter to every applicant, even those who do not meet your qualifications? Why would you want to send a letter to this one? If she questions why someone else was hired, I'd just tell her we hired a more qualified applicant.
  • Letter! Letter! You don't get no stinking letter.

Seriously, anyone fired from a job would not need an explanation of why they are not hired back again. The only case law I have ever seen on this is a question of a substance abuser coming back to apply after being fired and subsequently supposedly getting cleaned up. The complaint was ADA that the employer was discriminating for past dependence but the employer had a firm policy against hiring back any fired employees and thus was shown to not be discriminating.
  • If you want to send a letter, first make sure you haven't rehired any terminated employees. Then you can state they are not eligible for rehire due to their termination (? per your policy).
  • Since you write letters to every applicant, why not simply stick with your original not interested letter? Something to the effect of:

Dear So & So:

Thank you for your interest in XYZ company. We are currently reviewing applications and should we determine that your professional experience and qualifications match our current opening, we will contact you for an interview.

Best of luck to you in all of your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
    HR

Since I'm late in replying - what did you end up saying?

• Since she applied for both posted and not-posted positions, she received two letters on different days. In regard to the posted position, the letter stated that the supervisor had completed the first phase of the selection process and did not submit her name for consideration in the next phase. In regard to the not-posted positions, she received a letter that said we had sufficient staffing levels.
    >Since you write letters to every applicant, why
    >not simply stick with your original not
    >interested letter? Something to the effect of:
    >
    >Dear So & So:
    >
    >Thank you for your interest in XYZ company. We
    >are currently reviewing applications and should
    >we determine that your professional experience
    >and qualifications match our current opening, we
    >will contact you for an interview.
    >
    >Best of luck to you in all of your future
    >endeavors.
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >HR
    >
    >Since I'm late in replying - what did you end up
    >saying?

• I would simply tell the ee that you were employed here from --- to ---- and that term of employment resulted in our company deischarging you from employment. Based on your prior employment history with our company we have decided not rehire you. If this is the wrong approach please correct me.