Religious and politcal expression

What are the laws in regards to religious and political expression at work? We have an employee who has her office full of religious items such as a bible, a picture of Jesus on the wall, etc. She is a counselor so patients come to her office. We are concerned that patients who are not as religious as her might get offended. What at all can we tell her about this? Can we ask her to take them out of the office or should we just talk to her about the perception from patients? Is this considered a religious accommodation?

What about political expression? I don't know of an accommdation for this. We have an employee who put "Go BUSH" on her office door. Some EEs have been offended.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is from the EEOC website.

Employers must permit employees to engage in religious expression, unless the religious expression would impose an undue hardship on the employer. Generally, an employer may not place more restrictions on religious expression than on other forms of expression that have a comparable effect on workplace efficiency.

Here is the link: [url]http://www.eeoc.gov/types/religion.html[/url]

• Do all of the patients that come to her office practice Christianity? I think a neutral canvas is best if the employee is supposed to help everyone that comes into her office. Something small, a cross around her neck, or a bible on her desk is fine, but I think the picture is over the top. When I was in the Air Force and working in the Chapel - we had to neutralize the chapel when services were not in session - just so that we didn't offend the others that used the Chapel for services - Catholics, Protestants, Jewish Personnel, Muslims, etc. Treat her with respect, but let her know the company is in the business of treating everyone...
  • Has anyone actually been offended by the photo of Jesus?

Most of the world considers Jesus a great moral teacher at the very least.

Would you have her take down a photo of Confuscius or Oprah?

• Paul - would you have her put up a picture of Satan or Osama Bin Laden? Like it or not, symbols, pictures and words have meaning to the beholder - that meaning varies by who's looking at it. Some may not take offense & others may take offense. As a professional, this person should understand that.
  • Sure. There are probably photos of Devils in the cubicles of every Duke basketball fan or Arizona state, etc..

The law seems clear to me. You cant pick and choose what expression you prohibit without showing undue hardship.

The poster hasn't indicated anything that would constitute undue hardship yet. It doesn't even sound like anyone has really even complained.

• Well, we will have to agree to disagree based upon our prior knowledge and experience in the subject. x:-)

• Have you had complaints? Is she using these religious items to spread her faith?
  • Generally speaking, you should not be selectively censoring the content of what she hangs on the wall. That is, if you allow employees to hang photgraphs of their kids, you shouldn't prohibit pictures of other things unless they are offensive.

However, given her role as a counselor, she does have a position of influence over the patients. In this case, I think a legitimate exception can be made and you do have an arguement to prohibit her from hanging photographs that would potentially influence the clients even if no one has complained. (It could be no one complained because of her role of influence and power over them.)

The other question I have is - Is her religious and political beliefs influencing how she counsels her patients? Is the content of her counseling consistent with the policy of your institution?
  • Mwild & DavidS have some thoughtful comments & questions. I’ll add that if you are an HRHero subscriber there is a 50 page special report on Religious Harassment you could read. It is over 4 years old but may help as you wade into this delicate area. Best of luck & try to let us know how well you were able to resolve it.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-18-06 AT 03:03PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Also if you're a subscriber, do a search on religious expression - I believe there was an article on Powell v Yellow Book USA, which had to do with a woman having religious items up in her cubicle. I don't have the case number handy, but it was in 2006 and a short Google search should locate it for you.

Good luck!