salaryied ee & PTO

We have a salaried employee who is down to 2.48 hours of PTO. She is taking today off.

I know we cannot do partial day docking, but she is taking the full day off--so it wouldn't be partial day docking. So do I give her 2.48 hours of PTO for today and deduct 5.52 hours from her salary? Or, since she doesn't have a full 8 hours in her bank, do I deduct a full 8 hours from her salary and leave the 2.48 in her bank?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would think that since she is taking a full day off, you would be allowed to dock her the 5.2 hours, as long as you have a formal PTO policy and have been consistent in your treatment of all absences and required use of PTO. Was she required to request the time off? If so, why was she approved if allowing her her time off would put her in a potential "no-pay" situation?
  • I'm not quite sure of the answer to your 2 questions--this particular supervisor handles time off with a little bit of flexibility, which can be both good and bad. However, he has made it clear to her (because she has "borrowed" time in the past), that if she does not have PTO available for her days off, she will receive the day without pay.
  • I just think that there is a time when supervisors/managers need to start denying time off requests when employees frequently ask for time off on a last minute basis, especially when it is disruptinve to the business. I have always included statements in our PTO policy that say PTO requests must be made at least two weeks in advance and that unscheduled or unforseen need for PTO should be infrequent; and that the company always reserves the right to deny PTO requests due to scheduling needs, business conditions or an employees attendance record. If she only had 2 hours of PTO remaining, why was her day off approved?(that's more a rhetorical question than anything else)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-01-06 AT 06:42PM (CST)[/font][br][br]This doesn't help you at all right now, but our policy is that salaried employees only use 8 hour increment vacation days when they want the whole day off. If they only take a partial day, they do not use any PTO. I feel this is a balance for the times when they put in extra to get the job done (or travel, or whatever) and just get thanks - if that. This way, we don't end up with partial day problems.

Something to think about for the future, anyway.
  • Hi Paige

Since it's a full day & at her request, I would deduct a full day of pay & leave her PTO bank alone. It's the cleanist & I would let her know that she needs to get her PTO balance up to cover absences. How much time did she orginally have in her PTO account? It's great the supervisor is so liberal - but it seems to be coming at the EMPLOYER's expense. I always worry when people cut their time so close (unless she's only been there for a few months or she's been sick a lot). To me, and this is just an observation, the people that fall into this category have usually "disengaged" to a certain extent at work. Don't know the details here though, just an observation...
  • If your PTO policy allows employees to use PTO in any increment they want, then your plan is fine.
  • We, to, only dock full days for salaried employees. If they start to abuse the process by coming in for an hour or two and then leaving, this is addressed as unprofessional. We usually don't have these issues with salaried people as they (1) normally have PTO banks built up and (2) they usually work more than 40 hours week.

We don't have a problem with individuals who consistently work over 40 hours taking off early or coming in late on an occasional basis.
  • Is this person's job position exempt or nonexempt from overtime?