Fidelity Payroll

Wondering if any of you use/have used the payroll system thru Fidelity? We have our 401(k) thru them and they are wanting us to leave ADP and go to them for payroll. Anyone out there have any input on their system? Good or bad?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've never used them before, but I am currently considering moving our payroll from Ceridian to ADP. Has ADP been serving your organization well up until this point?
  • We use Ceridian for payroll and have Fidelity as our 401k provider. Fidelity has approached us on this as well. We may consider it one day but we have some "funny things" being done with our payroll and I don't know if they could support this or not yet. However, if their payroll is as good as their other work, I wouldn't hesitate.

As to ADP, I don't blame you for changing. I left them about 15 years ago and they would have to do some selling to get me to come back. Nickled and dimed us to death and anytime we asked them anything, they couldn't do it.
    However, Ceridian isn't what they used to be. They too have lost the "client contact" . They change our "Rep" about every three months and I find out by fluke. (Don't have a real rep to call on, this is someone in the telephone custmer service area.) They have also made some rather large blunders lately. So, I don't know that I would recommend them to anyone at this point (like I used to). However, I they still aren't as bad as ADP used to be. (May be they have improved, especially with competition). I still like Ceridian's software over ADP's too.
    Ellen

E Wart
  • Hi E Wart - I've been burned by ADP before too - about 10 years ago. A few months ago a representative contacted us and asked to meet to show us the new and improved ADP. I agree with your statements regarding Ceridian (except for the software - what a nightmare, not at all intuitive). I have to say, I'm impressed with the ADP of today. The software is intuitive, the reporting functions are easy and they offer a site for employees to access to do some self-management. I am however, unimpressed with how much history I'm going to lose with the transition and your comments about them "nickle & diming" you may still prove to be true.

Back to the poster, you know, I would set up meetings and ask for live demonstrations of the package, don't decide to move as quickly as the sales person would like you to & get your controller, IT and payroll people in the room to ask the tough questions. That's what we are doing now with ADP. Still don't know if we'll switch for sure, but by going through this process I feel more "edumacated" 8-} about the product.
  • I do not have any recent experience with ADP. I worked for a company years ago, and ADP did our payroll. There was never any problem for the ee, but I am not sure how they were to work with, what the costs were, etc. as I was not doing payroll at the time.
    We are currently with CompuPay, and for the most part are fairly happy. The biggest downfall is when I have an urgent issue I am not always able to get someone on the phone right away. I think the office in Arizona might be a little short staffed. We had looked at switching last year, and did have a meeting with Intuit. Have you checked them out yet? We were impressed with the reporting capabilities, etc. My hesitation in making the change was that I did not want to lose our payroll history. You might give them a call, I think it would be worth your time to get a demonstration.
    Good luck in your search.
    Jamie
  • Fidelity handles our 401(k) as well and we're mostly happy with them, we just don't get the really personal attention that we got when we had a smaller provider. ADP does the payroll, they are the most reasonably priced for us and no nickle and diming. I've used Ceridian, ADP, Paychex, and some others and they all have their good and bad. I worked for Bank of America in California about 15 yrs ago and they had a payroll product (since sold to ADP) I did conversions from other payroll providers to B of A's; what I mostly learned from that is that the products are all fairly similar it just comes down to service. There is a lot of turnover in that business because it is Highly stressful, HR is a breeze to me after that.
  • One thing I forgot to mention... I didn't know if your payroll provider did your tax filings. This is something to look at as well. (Been very happy with Ceridian on this.) Ask too about how history is transferred. (I am assuming you have some way to accumulate what you have from the past)
    Also, if you do change (which I have done in the past), I would make it effective on 1/1/07. (Good idea to look 4-6 months in advance to work on it for a 1/1 cut over date.) Otherwise, you have headaches with who does the W-2's and what about the YTD history........
    I would also "drill" the company on how they handle the conversion. When we went from ADP to ceridian, we had a great person doing the transition who walked us through and was actully on site the week before we went live. (We had a very good experience when we changed to Ceridian with our 401k (and it wasn't easy... believe me. We had used a bank and a 3rd party administrator who were not very mechanized and we had all types of problems with them, but not Fidelity).

E Wart