I've had a really, really bad day

So I had to go to one of our satellite offices Saturday afternoon to help a manager get his personal belongings. Found out earlier in the week that the accounting wasn't exactly up to par.
The last person you would suspect of doing such things and no real explanation why. What a waste.
Then, this morning, I get a phone call that one of our employees was killed in an auto accident while on the job. Other vehicle ran the stop sign. Left three kids at home.
I've called our EAP to come on site and visit with that department.
My mom always said it comes in 3's. I can't imagine what else is coming. I hope she's wrong this time.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wow and to think I was just about ready to start feeling sorry for myself!!! Ok, you've won. Best of luck there.
  • Diane, from what I know of you from your Forum input, I would say you are pretty well equipped to handle these situations. If a third one comes up, you'll handle that one too. I got confidence and faith in you.

You go, girl.
  • Thank goodness for EAPs. You may wish to spend a little time talking with them yourself - the caregivers need to remember to take care of themselves, too. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day - we know the sun will come up, but I hope it brings you good things and not your dreaded #3!
  • What an awful day! I'm so sorry to hear it & I wish you and your co-workers the very best right now. Hang in there! xhugs
  • I'm not superstitious but mom's always right.

Like the others said though, you're going handle it right whatever it is. Just know that we're here to lend an ear, hand or hug.
  • I'm sorry you had a bad day. I've experienced something similar recently and wanted to share it with you. In the last couple of weeks we had a light pole knocked over in our parking lot by a trucking company and then a truck from another trucking company ran a red light plowing car with two teenages into our company's sign made of cinder blocks. The impact killed the driver of the car, then the truck continued to knock over nearly 200 ft. of fence until it ran into a power line pole which knocked out power to our building for a while. Diesel spilled all over the area, so a cleanup crew had to remove nearly three dump truck loads of contaminated soil from our property. And, we don't have an employee assistance program!

We had an EAP at my last company, but it's one of those things that it's hard to get feedback on the services as it is confidential. I used them one time to give some seminars on change management for employees who were going to be laid off. The feedback I received from the employees who attended was not very positive - but, I guess I should have expected that response anyway from employees about to laid off.

I'm curious to hear what type of response you get from the folks that will participate in the departmental meeting with the EAP at your facility and what type of program was selected for the meeting.

• Lenetta is right when she said “You may wish to spend a little time talking with them (EAP) yourself“

Most of us that have any years in management or HR have had days like this (which we survived) but sometimes we won’t know how it’s affecting us because we are so busy taking care of legal items and the emotional well being of other ees and even the ee’s family. Diane, what would you tell any of us to if we were coping with your situation?

I had recommend our EAP many time over the years so I finally went while dealing with my elderly parent issues. Now I can tell ees I have used the program and maybe the ee won’t feel as apprehensive about going themselves.

Best wishes while wearing one of the multiple hats we in HR must don occationally.
  • Thank you all. Turns out the other vehicle was a drunk driver. He has been charged with vehicular homicide, DUI and running a stop sign. Our EAP is coming in later in the week. It's a small group of 5 and I think this will really help. We'll see. I'll follow up later to let you know how well it was received. I'm tackling other challenges now. We just bought 4 more properties and I have to meet and greet 50 new employees next week. Not to mention all the hoopla that goes along with getting them on board. Never a dull moment in HR, huh?

• Sorry to hear that you have so much on your plate to deal with right now.

I was about to vent about the drama I had to endure this week (and it's only Tuesday).

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of one of your employees. That's never easy to deal with.

((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))
  • Thanks! Our EAP did visit the staff and they ended up talking for about an hour. I received positive feedback from everyone, so I'm glad that worked out. I haven't had the "third" incident yet, but I did get a phone call from a fruitcake this morning demanding to know who our lawyers were. When I asked why, she stated she was going to sue all the employees of my company for discrimination. Huh? Not just one, but all! I transferred her to corporate. I figured it's their turn. Isn't that what corporate office is for? :)