can everything be paperless?

We are converting to imaging. Are there any documents that cannot be stored electronically only? These are not electronic signatures on documents. they are actual signatures, then we scan the whole document.

Medical stuff?
Blood borne pathogens?
I-9's?

anything we have to keep paper copies of?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good questions! I've just started to scan things to get rid of my enormous paper trail in a growing company, but when it comes to some documents I'm concerned. I hope someone has some guidelines. Thx.
  • I think this is more of a legal question. Lots of companies are trying to go paperless through the process you have described.

It is my bet that we will eventually get there, but we have some hoops to jump through - such as having to produce documents for subpoena's and other similar circumstances.
  • I don't know about other requirements, but even if you do an electronic verification of social security numbers through US Dept of Homeland Security, you still have to keep a hard copy of the I-9. You just attach the results of the electronic verification to it.
  • Along these same lines --

if timecards are scanned in using document imaging can the original paper documents be destroyed?
  • I just received my bi-monthly copy of Payroll Manager's Letter. It says on the cover page that under the new interim rule "You can now complete, sign, and store new I-9 forms electronically, as long as you adhere to the new standards for electronic filing systems.... You can also scan and electronically store the I-9's currently on file, if you wish." It goes on to say you can have people sign the form and then scan it, or you can have them complete it and sign it electronically.

I am sure this is good news for many companies.

Good luck!

Nae