Proactive Recruiting

One of our goals this year was to focus on recruiting and take a more interactive role. We have had a really hard time finding good sales people. We had a successful month in June and filled 7 positions. Well, now sales director states he wants at least 3-5 good candidates in the pipeline ready to step in, even though we may not have openings. He expects this every month. I don't think this is realistic. Yes, if we found that "special one", we could probably find something, but those are going to be few and far between. Am I being the party pooper here? I've had some pretty heated discussions w/ad mgt team about this. I can't see having that many people whom we've interviewed and deemed qualified, just waiting around for us to make an offer. I would think this is more of a networking type thing. Is it wrong to advertise for sales positions, even though we don't have them available? So when I contact this person, do I say "sorry I don't have an opening now" but we are preparing for the future?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • From an applicant's point of view, I would not be inclined to jump at a fake job ad. But if you were to word it as honestly as you could about setting up for the future and are selecting some resumes for future considerations you may have success. The most probable candidates will be those who already working; are doing rather well where they are, but are looking for a change; and they will be patient with you. The disadvantage here is that this type of candidate will not be as "hungry" as an unemployed candidate so your offer will probably have to go up.

The key to holding this "waiting pool", if you will, is keeping in contact with them and selling the hell out of your company.

You can even do some preliminary interviewing and prehire stuff to save time down the road.
  • I think it all depends on how you go about it. If you communicate "we are a great company and we want you to know about us and the opportunities we have available now and down the road" that is fine. Basically you are generating interest and hoping that at some point, interest you generate today will translate into an applicant next month when you have an actual opening.

On the other hand, if your boss wants you to mislead applicants into thinking that there are openings available just to generate a pool of available candidates, I think that is a misguided approach.

Starting off the employment relationship with a deception is short sighted. Applicants will figure out that you are playing games with them and they will be turned off. Word will get around.

Its kind of like the store that always has a "Going out of business! Everything must go! 70 percent off!" banner for years and years. Eventually people figure out its a ruse.

I would recommend an on-site "open house" to invite interested applicants to learn more about your company. Or attend job fairs. There is nothing wrong with keeping your company name "out there".

There is a local store here that is ALWAYS advertising for counter help. The impression it has given to me is that their turnover must be high and therefore it must not be a great place to work.
  • My thoughts exactly. We've had a horrible time these last few months and are almost fully staffed now. We advertised like crazy! AKA Desperate!
    I thought it best to lay low for a while, but they don't see it that way. Plus, summer is typically a slow time. School starts back in August, so I'm thinking we could jump back in with the fall job fairs, etc.
  • Sometimes, due to the mechanics of hiring and interviews, the hiring process takes longer than I would like. When this happens, I have found that often the most desirable candidates have already found other jobs. If this happens during the interview process (and it does), how can you possibly hope to keep good people out there on the string in case you need them. What you will end up with is the person who either cannot get a job or cannot hold a job.

Bottom line, you cannot put job candidates on the shelf like canned goods and take them down when needed. It is just not a good idea.
  • "Bottom line, you cannot put job candidates on the shelf like canned goods and take them down when needed. It is just not a good idea."

Oh, but if only you could!!! And wouldn't it be great if employees had expiration dates on them that would indicate when they would go bad.