Absent EE

On Friday 6/30 a warehouse supervisor was a half-hour late for work without calling. On Monday 7/3, he did not call-in or show-up at all. On Tuesday (our company was open) his manager received a voice mail from the 20-year-old's mother stating there was a family crisis and that her son would call us as soon as he could.

Since the supervisory position needs to be filled immediately, we promoted another gentleman as of yesterday. We still have not heard from the MIA supervisor. His phone is no longer in service.

Our attendance policy states, "If an employee fails to report for work and fails to contact their supervisor for two consecutive days, they will be considered to have resigned."

Since it was the mother who called, not the employee, can I consider him resigned? If not, how long are we supposed to wait for him to be "able to contact" us?

*Note: He's been a full-time EE for 6 months. He has one $3600 accident on the loading docks on his record and his supervisor has been building a case to terminate him.*

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • no-call, no-show for two days is considered job abandonement as far as I'm concerned. He's not eligible for FMLA and regardless of a "family crisis", he s/b able to contact his employer. Sounds like something fishy is going on w/him personally, but that is not your problem. I may sound a little harsh, but it's Friday and I've dealt with outrageous, petty issues today and have run out of sympathy. I'm sure somebody else will weigh in with a little more compassion.
  • I agree with HRinGA. It's been one of those days.
  • I've had a long, good week but it doesn't make me weigh in any differently than the others. Go with your attendance policy and terminate if appropriate by this time.

Cheryl C.
  • Thanks! I just needed that bit of reassurance.
  • Our attendance policy states, "If an employee fails to report for work and fails to contact their supervisor for two consecutive days, they will be considered to have resigned."

As long as you are consistent about this policy, I would agree with the others and term the ee.
  • Have you accepted calls from relatives for other employees in the past? I typically accept calls from spouses or parents of employees if the employee is unable to make the call themselves. I would accept the mother's call on Tuesday and consider Weds and Thurs as the 2 days of no call, no show and terminate.
  • I agree with Ray. Use Thurs and Fri as no call and go with your policy. Make sure you send him a letter that you accept his resignation and use the policy as explanation.
  • I wonder what he is in jail for? Let us know once you find out.......
    Fire him effective Friday.

Balloonman
  • I am curious myself. I will fill you in once I know more.
  • Write him a letter saying he hasn't shown up or called in to work since 6/30/06. Therefore you accept his resignation as of 6/30/06. If he has insurance tell him when it ends. If he has anything personal at the office, ship it to him.
    If you need to document anything, write self termination on the form. Make you you mail him any money owed, any term forms (separation notice), etc. Have his term date the last day he worked.
    If you have this documented properly, you will win at unemployment hearing... hands down.
    E Wart
  • Still no word on this PREVIOUS employee.

I sent out a certified return receipt letter on the 8th advising him of the handbook policy and stating we consider him to have resigned with his last day being 6/30. I requested he contact me immediately for return of his uniforms. When I checked the USPS tracking, it shows the letter was forwarded to another address. I have not received my signature confirmation of delivery as of yet.

Accounting has also mailed out his final check.

I believe all bases have been covered.

Thanks for the input and once I hear something, I will let you all know. (The warehouse manager said the rumor going around is drug use and possibly rehab.)

• Today I received the letter I mailed and his paycheck back as "Moved Left No Address Unable To Forward Return To Sender".
    On his personal data form, he put his mother as an emergency contact. I called on 7/6/06 and left her a v-mail. I never heard back from her. Should I try to contact her again? (All of this information is noted in his file.)
  • I would try to contact his mother again to get a forwarding address for the paperwork and payroll checks. Keep noting that you tried to find this person in his file.
  • I tried calling his mother again and her number is now out of service also!
  • Google the numbers you have and see if you get any response. Also, I would send a copy of the term letter in an "unmarked" envelop, and mention that someone needs to contact you regarding where to send the final paycheck.
    Document you sent this and hope that you might receive a response. Keep the envelops from the prior letters to prove that you made the effort and don't worry about it. He will probably contact you about the end of the year for his W-2.
    E Wart
  • I didn't find anything on the internet. I looked up his name and his mother's name in the actual phone book. His mother's name was there (no address) with a different number than I had on his contact information form. I called that number and it had been disconnected also.
  • When it comes right down to it and you cannot deliver this paycheck, I think you have to void the check and set up the liability for these dollars on your balance sheet. Then when enough time has passed according to your State's escheat laws, you forward the money to the State and they take it from there.
  • I was just told that one of the guys who worked with him told someone that he had moved to the beach. I'm going to speak to him when he comes in today to see if he can give me any information.
    The payroll manager has his last 2 checks. Fortunately the unclaimed money will be her problem.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-20-06 AT 12:29PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Leo, I gotta say, you are beating a dead horse that wants to remain dead. You have taken all reasonable measures to locate this person, who apparantly does not want to be located. In fact, I think you've even gone above and beyond reasonable to try and locate this person. I think you are more than covered for anything that might come of this, such as UI. As I'm reading this, I'm just sitting here laughing, at the same feeling bad for you and actually getting tired thinking about all the work you've done on this thing.

Leo, if you're always this thorough you must be pretty damned good at what you do. Nice work, but now I need a nap.

By the way, I plan to try the fried rice this weekend with BBQ riblets and sweet corn.

• That's okay. I can take the ribbing. I'm pretty green, so I do like to be thorough.

Just to let you know I did get another number for the person from my warehouse employee. The message I receive says, "the number that you are trying to call is unreachable". I'm done!

(By the way, you're really going to like the rice.)
  • Leo,

This is a REALLY good story - I think we are all anxiously awaiting "the rest of the story..." once you know!

Good work!!!