Interview question

Would like to ask a legal question of applicants that puts them on notice that their legal status will be checked once they are hired. A connected question is: Must they actually start working before we do the check?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you mean a criminal background check?

We don't check anything until we've sent an offer letter, but in that letter we state that the offer is contingent on a positive background check, physical and negative drug screen.
  • Sorry. "legal status to work in US" - the whole I-9 thing.
  • Our application has a Yes/No question:

If hired, are you able to provide verification of your right to work legally in the United States?
  • LEE2: 1) As a result of joining the Basic Pilot Program, a on-line system for verifying I-9 data, I was able to go into the program resources screen and obtain both an English and Spainish version. both are posted in our waiting area.

2) In accordance with the MOU (Department of Homeland Security) and federal laws one can not check this private and confidential information prior to offering this person a position of employment. At our remote sites, we offer and put them to work and I have 3 days to get to the remote site and do an enrollment process. At these sites there is no computer system, so I bring the enrollment forms and the I-9 back to my office and input the individual's personal information on the I-9. If there is a mis-match I then go to the remote site and suspend the individual and referr him/her to the apporiate agency for correction of the record. Most foreign nationals do not return, but we pay them anyway and terminate our employee/employer relationship, as an attendance action violation.

Richard