Selection Instruments for Production Workers

I am researching various selection/assessments instruments that could be evaluated to assess prediction of performance (defined as production). This would be for a distribution environment where associates are required to maintain production standards. We currently use the Activity Vector Analysis (AVA) to select based on job-fit, but we find this is a predictor of retention, not production. As we move more toward a production environment, we need to incorporate an instrument that will provide some meaning in terms of whether the applicant will produce at an acceptable level.

If anyone is familiar with various instruments used to predict production for hourly associates in a production/manufacturing environment, I would certainly appreciate your knowledge/feedback. Obviously the assessment would need to be internally validated, I'm just looking at narrowing down what's out there and for something appropriate for distribution/manufacturing. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You may have lobbed one over our heads. I know of no such thing. Maybe an obstacle course?

The difficult thing with that type of test is tricking them into doing what they actually would do if you weren't looking. HMMM, very interesting.

Sorry I can't help. But I hated to see this post float out in nowhere land.
  • Prior to employing the applicant I do not know of any type of predicting mechanism. (If you find one I would like to know.)

That is why most companies are At-Will they can hire a person see if they work out if not term them.

The only way is to put someone to work and see how they perform. Giving them a starting point and possibly increasing as they progress in their position. You can always give them goals to meet each day, week or month and if they reach or exceed them increase their goals. If they don't but are still within your satisfactory level give them encouragement to do better. If they fail completely let them go as long as you are giving them enough time to aclimate to the position say 30 days.

JMO,
    Lisa
  • There are two companies that I know develop various testing and assesment tools for industrial positions: the first is called SkillCheck (1-800-648-3166) and the other is called Quiz, Inc. (1-800-966-0943 - I think this is the technical support line, but they can point you in the right direction). We have used Quiz for clerical-type assesments, but I have not used their industrial tests. SkillCheck presented their wares at a recruiting convention I attended a couple of years ago, and they seemed to have a few more options on the industrial side, but I have not used theirs either. But, give 'em a call, they might be albe to help you.