Employee of the Month

For those of you who do use an Employee of the Month program as an incentive, how many of you use measurements to help determine who is selected and what kind of measurements do you use? I was thinking of things like attendance, productivity, etc.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Several years ago we tried employee of the month until it became a popularity contest than we ended it.

we now have our usual sevice awards for years of service.

We also have an AIM bucks program. we have One dollar, 2 dollar and 5 dollar play money bills with our products on them. They look like Monopoly money. They are given out to staff by Managers and Supervisors. Any co-worker can nominate an employee for AIM Bucks. Each Manager or supervisor is given a specific amount (15.00) for each employee on staff for budget purposes, however, he/she may give the AIM Bucks to any employee on his staff in any amount as needed.

The AIM Bucks are given out for doing an extra special job on a project or for going above and beyond your regular job duties.

With these AIM Bucks the employee may buy from the HR store gift certificates for numerous eating establishments like Red Robin, Outback Steak House, Applebee's , McDonalds, or they may get gift certificates to D & B Supply (a local farm and garden store, or to Walmart. They may also purchase tickets to the movies or to Boon Docks which is a local fun park. I even have certificates to Moxie Java and when I can find one I will have certificates to a car wash.

Takes me a little time (usually on my own time) to restock the store once a month or so , but our employee's just love it.

Shirley
  • We've had this program for years and it works well. We announce the winner along with service anniversaries and serve cake. Which is a whole other story b/c the cakes are awesome. Anyway, I digress. We review nominations at our staff meetings (all dept heads). Everyone is given an opportunity to comment. The nomination forms requires you write in why this person is nominated and we've been fortunate that most nominations are worthy and legitimate. There are a few "fluff" ones such as "Susan should get EOM because she always comes in happy everyday and helps everyone out". But most detail work on a project, or someone who went above and beyond. We then announce what the nominator wrote at the ceremony. Our votes are based on what the nominator wrote and the overall quality of the ee's work. For example, one of our pressmen won b/c he ran the press for 30 days with minimal web breaks, or a distric mgr won b/c he had zero Sunday complaints for a month or the mkt coord won for overall dynamic performance. Hope this helps.
  • We use a similar program called Star Award where any employee can nominate a co-worker, subordinate or supervisor for the "above and beyond the call of duty" type of stuff. There are often multiple winners as we did not want to overlook employee contibutions or having to decide who put forth the most notable effort; if there were incidences that were noteworthy put forth by more than one employee, so be it. The winners get a day off with pay to be used at any time, and let me tell you, they are coveted.
  • If you're a manufacturing facility, would you have a separate gift for production workers and office workers?

• We are also a manufacturing facility with production and administrative staff. What we do here is purchase gift certificates from our local Chamber of Commerce. They can be used in any local business that accepts a check and in this way we are spending the money locally within our community. It's a win-win situation for everyone involved. So for employee birthdays they get $15 or special recognition would generally be $20. We have on occasion given $50 for employee suggestions that we have implemented or plan on implementing. Birthday gift certificates are given out at our monthly employee luncheons and recognition gift certificates are given directly to the employee by their supervisor/manager. Recognition certificates are decided and discussed at the monthly manager meetings.
  • Nearly all our employees have computers, so I solicit nominations via email a day or so before the meeting and request "why" they are nominating this person. The exec staff votes for a winner. While there is little specific criteria, basically no recent disciplinary action, generally the winner demonstrates a combination of superior job performance and positive attitude.