What have you learned?

This year marks my tenth year in HR. I was thinking about some of the lessons I have learned over time. Here is part of my list.

1. Dont overreact. The problem is rarely as big as it seems.
2. Treat your employees the way you want them to treat your customers.
3. Employees expect consistency AND special treatment.
4. Be careful what you put in writing.
5. Work alongside your staff as much as possible.
6. Always accept a resignation.
7. Be patient. You might have the right answer at the wrong time.
8. Take responsibility but give away credit.
9. Don't rush to judgment. There is always more to the story.
10. Document. Document. Document.

So what are your hard earned nuggets of wisdom?

Comments

• 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't get your honey where you get your money.
  • Paul has some good ideas here. A few of mine follow:
    1. Get out the facts first and then react.

2. Look at the costs of both winning and losing your various battles.

3. Never promise anything unless you have it right in your pocket to give.

4. If you want to keep a secret, tell nobody.

5. Putting off unpleasant duties only makes them worse.
  • People do what they want to not what they have to. At least when your not looking.
  • Any task easy to do is also easy to screw up.
  • Pick your fights. If you go to the wall on every single issue or conflict that comes along, no one will take you seriously.
  • There are ALWAYS two sides to the issue. (Or was it 10,000?)

Get back to people, especially employees, in a very timely manner. No matter what.

• Even if you don't know what you are talking about? xB-)
  • Even if it's to say, "I don't know yet."
  • A few more..

Know the difference between "Reply" and "Reply to All" when sending e-mail.

Don't vent to your spouse too much about your job. Make sure you include the positive stuff that happens.

Punish insubordination. Mentor immaturity.

Water the plant in your office occassionally.

Laugh at yourself.

Keep a jar of "dum dum" suckers or jelly beans in your office for little kids.

Get a flat panel monitor.

Watch your posture.

Take a walk during the day.

Develop a protege even if they aren't a direct report. Find someone who wants a mentor.

Read the financials.
  • Always keep a positive attitude.

Don't expect your employees to be anything other than regular people. They will make mistakes, do wonderful things, share laughter and tears, and sometimes behave immaturely.

Listen more than you speak.

Nae
  • In addition to the candy for the kids, a bag of Hershey's Kisses can go a long way when someone comes to your office that is really having a bad day. Of course a box of tissues for those tear eyed moments that always seem to occur in the HR office.
    Our CEO has a saying when it comes to fighting all the little battles: "Is this a hill that your willing to die on?"
    Never sneeze when your hiding and never smile when your bluffin'...
  • These are all great! My biggest lesson is to always err on the side of caution, which goes with your #7 and #9, Paul. Unfortunately I am not finished learning that lesson. Maybe I should stitch that phrase on a pillow or something.
  • I've been in HR for about 7 years. I've worked at a large business unit with a fortune 500 US based company in the US and was laid off and a small Japanese owned/operated business unit in the US that does not lay-off. The stability of a company does not mean job security for the individual. A stable individual does not mean security for a company. Everyone is different, but we're all the same. All businesses are different, but they're all the same. Relationships are more important that business decisions, and business decisions can destroy relationships. We try to control our lives knowing that we have no control over our lives. We spend each minute of our days excited about the passage of time, waiting and working towards that next big moment that defines us and justifies our sacrifices. The anticipation of a life changing event changes you whether or not the event plays out as you would like to have expected it to. Your attitude about the situation is whether or not an event was good or bad.
  • A few things actually....

Listen and really hear what the other person is saying...repeat it if you need to until you understand.

Think before you open your mouth

Be prepared for an emergency..it always happens.

Document everything! and be very careful what you write in the documentation.

Think before you write

Work at least as hard if not harder than your staff

Tell your staff what a good job they are doing often

Always be ready for the unexpected you just never know what will happen next in HR.
  • Be slow to hire, quick to fire.... (with the obvious HR precautions, proper documentation, policy review, past practice, yadda yadda yadda....)
  • Quick to fire? That suprises me. What has led you to that conclusion?
  • Paul,
    It simply means take your time when deciding to hire employees as it is one of the most crucial decisions a company can make, and we often shovel warm bodies in the door just to fill a need for help. The "quick to fire" means don't waste too much time on marginal performers who continue to languish in mediocrity for years on end, exposing the company's tolerance for employees who don't pull their weight, and often are the ones that end up filing charges against the company. Therefore, "slow to hire, quick to fire"
  • My president says something along those lines, too - he read a book on it but the name and author escapes me right now. vphr put it well - when I got to my current position, we had several marginal employees that were kept on for various reasons (including spite, for pete's sake!) and we are trying to either prod them along, or sever the ties. It's so much more difficult when they've been allowed to be marginal for two, five, seven, twelve years than it is to handle when they've been here 60 or 90 days. And because letting people go can wreak havoc on your unemployment, hiring slow (carefully) helps on that end.
  • I would definitely agree with that.

• The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when they complete an employment application.
  • Add to all this, that sometimes the employment interview is the best work some employees ever do.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-22-06 AT 03:17PM (CST)[/font][br][br]In addition to all of the above, which I'm still studying x:-8, I've learned that a good insurance broker can save you tons of money, time and headaches.

P.S. Happy Anniversary!
  • Make time to stop and chat now and then.

Plan EVERYTHING to take twice as much time as you think it will.

Remember how it felt to be an entry-level employee who didn't know anything.

Start pushing your broker for Insurance plan bids at least 6 months in advance of Open Enrollment. Keep pushing every couple of weeks and don't feel bad about it.

It's OK to admit you don't know something, as long as you have (and use) the ability to figure it out.

Be visible.

• Just thought of something else....

Be very careful what you say in an interview, either hiring or exit...your words may come back to bite you in the butt!!!!

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-26-06 AT 08:55PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Avoid people who enjoy confrontation for confrontation's sake.

Power can win a sprint but character wins a marathon.

Rule breakers are not always trouble makers.

Know your employees by name.

Assume goodwill.
  • The absolute guarantee of success:

The right people, doing the right things, right.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-27-06 AT 12:09PM (CST)[/font][br][br]When giving bad news (insurance premium increases, write ups, etc.) remember it is FAR more difficult for the recipient than it ever will be for you as the messenger.