remote workers travel to main office

We have several employees who opt to work from their home. Once per year they travel "short distance" to come to the office to have an annual review. This travel to the office does not "have" to be reimbursed correct? This is considered normal travel to their place of work is it not?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This might be a question for a tax expert. I am not a tax expert, but I do have an accounting background. I would not pay for this reimbursement. Instead, I would treat it as you said, normal travel to their place of work. If they think it should be covered, they can claim it on their personal income taxes.

Good luck!

Nae
  • Since its a short distance, I think you are OK to not compensate them.

However, if the travel was during normal work time and was more than a short distance, I would pay them.
  • I agree that this is travel to work and would not reimburse the employee. However, I recommend that you have a formal "telecommuting agreement" that includes a statement that if the employee needs to come into the office for a meeting, evaluation, etc., there will be no reimbursement.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-19-06 AT 07:58AM (CST)[/font][br][br]BHUTAN: "who opt to work from their home"; is this an arrangement made for the benefit of the company? Does the ee have a choice and they make it "for home". If all of this is documented and there is no way for the individual to win in a wage and hour claim or an EEOC claim, then I would not have to think about it nor ask this question, it would be automatic that they and any others who might want to press the issue, will not get compensated for this travel.

PORK or Richard which ever fits your need. Surgery went well and I am back at my desk for 1/2 days. Thanks for your thoughts and concerns.
  • If you make coming into the office their place of work for that entire day, it would appear to be exempt from reimbursement under the Portal to Portal Act (and this requirement probably should be in your telecomute agreement). However, what happens if they must then proceed to another work location during that same day? The subsequent work location would appear to be reimburseable would it not?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-20-06 AT 04:46PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I agree, Jimbo, tho I'm not sure whether Bhutan is talking about mileage or wages for a nonexempt.

For wages, you don't have to pay him to commute from home to the workplace at the beginning or end of his shift. But after he arrives, he's on the clock while he drives to another assigned location during his shift.

Edit:
    If he's at the office for the entire shift, then driving is off the clock, since it's regular commuting.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • What if a co-worker is driving you crazy? Is that commute compensable, James?