How to measure successful data entry?

I'm familiar with typing standards and what an acceptable word per minute score is. We have several positions which do primarily data entry and 10-key work. I have a testing package that tells me what the applicant's score is but doesn't provide any standards. What kind of score do you expect for data entry and 10-key work?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • DB: Since we are 99% converted to computer usage at all typing job task, we have begun to disregard any standard for word processing as in "typing for speed and accuracy". We do expect the potential candidate to get on a computer and pull up programs and begin to "type" or "word process" a known acceptable document and basic exercises over a certain period of time. We use a situation that "on-paper" is previously developed and designed to allow for certain simple manuvers like paragraphing, line spacing, tabs, spell check, save, etc. We have a 2nd little exercise to test the basic knowledge of the Excel spreadsheet system and its capabilities. A timed exercise over a 20 minute period of time is a good limit, if, you have allowed an acceptable employee to run through the test examples and get the employee's time. much like you would do to set up a time and motion study.

I hope this will help!

PORK
  • I talked to our group publisher for database publications, and she said it depends a lot on the kind of work they're doing. But accuracy is more important than speed, especially when working with numbers.

She has applicants do five minutes of straight typing and figures wpm. She subtracts five wpm for each mistake. Someone who types 40 wpm with eight mistakes would score 0 and wouldn't get the job.

You might want to subtract more for mistakes for jobs where errors are hard to detect and have big consequences. Or you could stress speed more if errors are easy to detect and fix.

Hope this helps!

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com