Union question

I just found out (30 minutes before the office closes until next Tuesday) that one of our branch locations was either solicited by, or solicited the advise of a union. I don't know anything about what happened because all the Pres told me was that there had been 'some union contact' at one of the stores. He wondered if we had any language in our handbook regarding union contact in any way (we do not).
I don't know anything about unions or what we could/would/should do about this. Any thoughts?
I realize that I have given almost NO information, but I don't have any to give, but I'm under the impression from boss's tone of voice that he is not pleased.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't have a union, but my knee-jerk response is to be VERY careful.

You cannot be perceived as interfering in any way with any union activity for it's own sake. That is, if you allow employees to post notices or send emails about personal stuff then you can't stop your employees from posting things or emailing things about the union. If, however, you already have these things prohibited, you can stop them from using your email system, etc, to pass the word and try to get participation.

I would go to an expert for advice on this. I know an attorney can be expensive, but you will probably pay far less in the long run. Remember, talking about working conditions is a protected activity. Be VERY careful.

GOOD LUCK!!

Nae
  • We aren't union either so it would be nice to hear from some of the unionized members of the forum.

My suggestion would be to find out what, if anything, your boss would like you to do beyond check the handbook.

Next, determine the nature of the contact. If your workplace is anything like mine, stories get blown out of proportion. I would determine what if anything happened.

As Nae mentioned, don't get overly excited or worried. If your organization has taken care of its ee's, you are less likely to get unionized. Think of this as an opportunity for dialogue with your employees. If the employees have contacted a union, why? Why did they not feel they could address their concerns with management?

If you know anyone who has taken the PHR or SPHR recently and used the SHRM learning system, there is an excellent module on unions, the role of an employer, campaigns, and election process.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
  • I deal with or have dealt with eight different unions. As other members of the forum have indicated, it is a protected right for workers to consider joining a union. You cannot forbid the employees to consider a union nor can you punish those who are the leaders in that endeavor. That being said, do not panic. Take a look at the workplace and see if employees are unhappy and why. Unhappy employees will often lead to a union. Further, rights to unionize are not unlimited. Employees have no right to promote unions on paid time nor must you open your doors to union reps to let them use your facilities. If this is a non-union facility, you must be careful about over reaction. If you are too harsh, it could steer the troops toward a union. If there are issues out there and you enhance wages, benefits or modify work rules in reaction to talk of a union, this will become the magic lamp to the employees and they will rub it any time they want something to see if the genie will appear. I would take a very considered and thoughtful attitude. Find out what is going on there and what the facts are and do not act in a hasty manner.

Good luck.
  • aliciac,
    Your question gives me a chance to mention a section of this website that doesn't get talked about very often but that may give you a great place to start: HOT TOPICS, one of which happens to be "Union Organizing."

TO REACH "HOT TOPICS": On the home page, scroll down, watch the right-hand column until you see the list of Hot Topics, and then click on "Union Organizing." That'll take you to a recently updated list of what we believe are some of the best recent writings about the topic from our 50 state Employment Law Letters. On the union topic, you'll see links to eight different articles from the past year, including "Controlling union solicitation" and "Union avoidance."

TO READ THE ARTICLES: To allow for some browsing, the two most recent articles in the list (listed at the top) are available to anyone who visits the site. As a subscriber, you can get hot links to the other six articles by going back to the home page and logging in as a "subscriber." (If you can't remember your user name and password, please call Customer Service at (800) 274-6774.) Once you're behind the password, you'll find the same Hot Topics list in about the same place on your screen, only . . . all of the links will now be hot, and you can read 'em all.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: When I looked over the eight articles in the Union Organizing section of the "Hot Topics" list this morning, I noticed that five of them had first appeared in print in either Michigan Employment Law Letter or Indiana Employment Law Letter, not a big surprise considering the heavy labor activity in those states. Why I'm bringing this up now: The editors of those two state newsletters -- John T. Neighbours of Baker & Daniels in Indianapolis and Robert M. Vercruysse of Vercruysse Murray & Calzone, P.C., in Bingham Farms, Michigan -- will be leading a three-hour postconference session on union organizing at this year's Advanced Employment Issues Symposium in Chicago (October 6) and Las Vegas (November 10). Their session is titled: "Unions Are Changing to Win More Members: What You Don't Know Can Hurt You." For more info, go to [url]http://www.hrhero.com/aeis/[/url]

aliciac, I hope this helps. tk

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068

• Thank you everyone for your input, it's helped me to calm down a bit! I still don't have good details on what exactly is happening at the store with union contact. We treat our employees very well and we have always had an open door policy, so hopefully this goes away without much more discussion.
    I'll check out the "HOT TOPICS" too, thanks!
    If anything else happens I'll be sure to come to all of you for help!