Internet applicants

We post on our own company website and on a couple others. When applicants reply back to us, it's usually via the e-mail address we have set up for this purpose.

In light of the new OFCCP rulings, we're trying to sort out the best way to capture the information they're requesting.

We've thought of having an auto-response that asks them to reply back with the information or sending a postcard asking them to log into a site.

We would be interested in hearing what the rest of you are doing to address this.

Thanks!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • mbeam, could you fill me on who OFCCP is what information they want? You don't have to take all day, just a summary?
  • Sure, the OFCCP is the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs. They have a new rule in place as of February (with a grace period that ran out on May 8th) regarding internet applicants. Here's what I pulled from their site:

How does this Internet Applicant rule change existing rules?

The final rule:

Defines "Internet Applicants," job seekers applying for work through the Internet or related electronic data technologies from whom contractors must solicit demographic information;
    Prescribes the records contractors must maintain about hiring done through use of the Internet or related electronic data technologies; and,
    Explains the records OFCCP will require contractors to produce when evaluating whether a contractor has maintained information on impact and conducted an adverse impact analysis under 41 CFR Part 60-3, the Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedures.

What is the definition of an "Internet Applicant" in the final rule?

An Internet Applicant is defined as an individual who satisfies the following four criteria:

The individual submits an expression of interest in employment through the Internet or related electronic data technologies;
    The contractor considers the individual for employment in a particular position;
    The individual's expression of interest indicates the individual possesses the basic qualifications for the position; and,
    The individual at no point in the contractor's selection process prior to receiving an offer of employment from the contractor, removes himself or herself from further consideration or otherwise indicates that he or she is no longer interested in the position.

What standard applies to the solicitation of demographic information if a contractor considers both electronic and traditional paper expressions of interest for the same position?

When a contractor considers expressions of interest for a position via both the Internet or related electronic data technologies and paper applications, the Internet Applicant standard applies to the solicitation of demographic information from all applicants for that position.

• Only government contractors who have to prepare an AAP need to be concerned about the OFCCP and Internet Applicants.
  • That said, Irie, I believe though that retention of internet applications and resumes is the same for regular applications and resumes, i.e. one year.
  • Those of us who are government contractors must keep applications for three years and go into great contortions to track "applicants" as well as track hires, terminations, promotions, transfers, etc. We unfortunately have a lot more to do to keep the "powers that be" happy than those of you fortunate enough to not have government contracts.
  • Unfortunately, we fall into that category so are wondering how to capture information on race, gender and ethnicity.
  • mbeam: Fortunately we do not use the Internet for recruiting so I don't have to worry about complying with this new rule. The only way you could accurately gather your information is to do what you have stated, an automatic response or postcard.