recruiting nurse manager

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-25-06 AT 04:39PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We are a residential care facility that has been having quite a time finding candidates for a nurse manager position. The position entails managing nursing activities (staff of 15) and acting as the liaison with on-call physicians, community medical providers and independent contractors. It requires a BSN (Masters preferred) and 3 years experience with our type of population (supervisory preferred). Has anyone had any luck with certain websites or publications? Any other ways you got the word out?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I had a brief stint at a nursing home and from what I found with recruiting, you're not alone. The best advice I can give is to check your state department of labor - ours runs a job link service that is great for finding employees. You might also try radio advertising - that is one way to reach someone who isn't looking for a job, because those people aren't reading the want ads. It's expensive, but would be well worth it if you found your match.

My next suggestion probably won't work. (How's that for a preface??) Is there anyone among your current nurses that could be moved up? Getting a BSN doesn't happen overnight, I know, but you'd be working with a known quantity. I suspect it wouldn't work, though, because I seem to remember CNAs that went to school and became LPNs or RNs did not fare well working among their former CNA peers. Perhaps you could recruit someone from another facility with that offer? This is a really long-term plan and I know you need someone NOW, but again, could be well worth it in the end. (There are some suggestions in previous posts on the forum about getting back tuition reimbursement if someone leaves in less than a year or two years, etc.)