Electronic Communications - Changes in the Law?

Hi there,

Just a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone heard about changes in case law on electronic communication (like email) in the workplace as well as with customers? Some of our I/S personnel understand that there have been changes or that the changes are imminent. I've done some research but cannot find anything definitive.

2. Also, I understand that email disclaimers may not be enforceable. Just wondering if this is the case, and if so, do you have any information on this?

Thanks very much in advance for any information you may have.

Rita M. Reed
Qualstar Credit Union
Sr. Human Resources
& Staff Development Manager
425/460-3804 - Direct
425/460-3934 - Fax
[email]ritar@qualstarcu.com[/email]

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The only thing that I can think that they may be talking about would be the HIPAA security which takes affect on 4/20 for small employers. (Took place last year for larger). I am working on this now. What a pain. (Your government and tax dollars at work. We will have only one more step, I hope, with HIPAA after this is through.)
    I don't know whether the disclaimers are enforceable or not, but every efax and email that I get from an attorney's office has this. I don't know whether they would bother if it wasn't.
    E Wart
  • Thank you so much for your response. I've sent these questions out to 3 networks and yours was the only response. Obviously, there's just not enough information as yet.

Thank you again. I truly appreciate your time.

Rita M. Reed
    Qualstar Credit Union
    Sr. Human Resources Manager
    425/460-3804 - Direct
    425/460-3934 - Fax
    [email]ritar@qualstarcu.com[/email]

• Rita, if you're looking for info on the HIPAA regs that took effect today, we held an audio conference on the subject recently, and a CD of the event is available. Here is a link:

[url]http://www.hrhero.com/audio/HIPAA/?[/url]

Articles are also available for your viewing in the newsletter archives. Kansas Employment Law Letter had a pretty good article on the subject in December 2005. Hope this helps.

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068
  • Thank you very much for your response, Tony. I don't think this is what we are after but it is important information however!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Rita