Interview tips for high school age

I am part of a job fair for our local high school and have been asked to speak on "interviewing tips" for high school age young people.

I want to include some informative stuff along with some humorous tips.

Got any suggestions from your experience, O wise ones?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've worked with a local HS putting on seminars to teach interviewing skills. I can fax you some info.
  • I'd mention something about preparation even if only going to fill out an application. When I was in high school I went in to a place that wasn't even open yet (the building wasn't even completed) and just stopped in to grab an application. I certainly wasn't dressed for an interview, but I got one anyways. I wasn't prepared at all and I wish I had been. I got the job anyways, but I'd recommend being prepared for an interview even if just picking up an application. Also, even though this is slightly off topic, please bring a pen when going to fill out an application. A lot of businesses won't allow you to take your application home and it has always bothered me to see people go into a place specifically to fill out an application and not have a pen with them.
  • 1. Remove any hardware from your face before the interview.

2. Don't wear any shirts with slogans on them.

3. Speak in complete sentences.

4. Do not say, "you know", "you know what I mean", "like", or any swear words.

5. Dress slightly better than the job for which you are interviewing.

6. Do not mumble or ramble.

7. Do not chew gum.

8. Learn a proper handshake. Don't make the interviewer think you've just handed him/her a piece of raw liver.

9. Shower, wear clean clothes, groom, and smell good without being overpowering. Do not wear cologne.

10. Be nervous. Yep, that's right. Being nervous is a sign that you are sincere about this interview and you really want to do well. That's a good sign that an astute interviewer (you ARE an astute interviewer, aren't you Paul?)will notice as an advantage.

11. Walk upright without slouching or shuffling or dragging your feet. Be sure there is no mistake that you are member of the human race.

12. Keep your hands out of your pockets. If I'm going to shake hands with you I will be uncomfortable not knowing what's in your pockets.

13. Keep your hands away from your face, especially your nose. (See #12)

14. Do not sit on your hands. (see #12)

15.Be very polite to the receptionist. He/she will be asked how you presented yourself and if you were polite.

16. Come prepared to ask intelligent questions about the company.

17. Take notes.

18. Follow up with a thank you of some sort.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-10-06 AT 01:28PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Nice tips, LarryC! I'd expand on #18. Instead of "some sort" I'd add "...with a handwritten thank you note or email that has been carefully checked for spelling and grammar."

My about-to-turn 16 yr old is asking me where he should get his first job, so I'm esp. grateful for the list! When I was interviewing for my current position, I wrote a script to practice so I wouldn't be so nervous during interviews and he helped me rehearse. x:D

Also, on #1, he has braces and can't remove them for a job interview. Jewelry might be a better choice of words than hardware? Under #5 I'd add "Make sure all tatoos are covered by clothing."
  • Nice Larry! You mentioned a few I had not considered yet.

As soon as I look up the word "astute" I will let you know.

The tip on being polite to the reception person is a good one.
  • Interviewer:"Where did you receive your training?"
    Applicant:"Yale."
    Interviewer:"Great! Do you have a personal reference?"
    Applicant:"Sure, Yim Yohnson."

• Very helpful, Larry! I'll print it for my 19-yr-old who is out of work again...sigh...

Only one thing I'd add, though. You alluded to language (sort of) in #4. Candidates should have a decent/good command of the language that they'll be required to speak in the office.

When I was interviewing for an Assistant for our VP, one of the qualifications we sought was that the candidates speak a little Spanish in order to help some of our international salesmen. Most candidates did not but one woman came who was very comfortable with Spanish but she couldn't speak English very well. Talking with our intl. reps wasn't a problem for her but working with the VP certainly was.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-11-06 AT 04:26AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Open1, I certainly didn't mean mouth hardware except for tongue and lip piercings. Didn't mean any offense. Paul, ask Ray to define "astute" for you.
  • I just read this thread today and wanted to add something else we have seen on applicants. This could also be added to #1 or #5, remove the stockings, doo rags or skull caps from your head.

Becky
  • Remember the generation gap and offer a few more suggestions:
    1. Go alone, do not bring your friend.
    2. Do not be late.
    3. It is very impressive to do some research on the company first. Most of them have a web site now. You may be asked if you looked at it.
    4. Try for a balance in talking. They cannot read your mind, so if you are the strong and silent type, unbend enough to communicate. If you are a talker, do not go on and on. Be brief.
    5. Speaking of brief, make sure your underwear is covered by outerwear. Showing the interviewer the color and pattern of your underpants is not a good way to land a job, at least in most places.
  • 5. Speaking of brief, make sure your underwear is covered by outerwear. Showing the interviewer the color and pattern of your underpants is not a good way to land a job, at least in most places.

Its amazing how specific you need to be...

I am also advising them to NOT bring their cell phone to the interview.
  • Just got back from the high school job fair. There were 3-4 high schools represented and about 200 students. The presentation went well but I was really suprised by how unruly the students were allowed to be.

One of the other panel presenters remarked that it was the rudest audience she had ever seen.

A handful of the kids where carrying on conversations throughout the entire presentation. I almost told two young men to be quiet but I wasn't sure if that was my place.

The future of America, indeed!
  • I am also very unimpressed and shocked at how disrespectfult many high schoolers (and younger) are. In my humble opinion, it is generally the lack of parenting (the whole "let the child make all of their own decisions without consequences" mentality) that has caused this.

Enough of my diatribe as I could go on for a while. I would also like to add to the list:

Do not wear flip flops.

Cover all body parts that you would show at the beach (belly especially).

Wear the proper size of clothing. Popping buttons is not a competition.